This list of life and death quotes will inspire you to examine your own beliefs about mortality and your existence in this world!
Have you ever thought of what might happen to you after you die? We all know that one day, we’ll leave this world. But, we still wonder where we will go when our time is up.
The truth is that we do not know what will happen when we die. Only one thing is for sure: the world will continue spinning without us.
Life and death are unpredictable and inescapable. You can’t control how long you will live or when you will die. That’s why we should cherish every second of our life and live it to the fullest.
However, some of us do not know how to start living a meaningful life, which causes us to fear death. So, check out this collection to help you begin living in the moment and stop wasting time worrying about things you can’t control.
This list of quotes will help you not to be afraid of life and death and will make you face reality!
And make sure to read these success and failure quotes and quotes to live by.
Best Life and Death Quotes
1. “For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.” – Kahlil Gibran
2. “Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.” – Lao Tzu
3. “Life and death are illusions. We are in a constant state of transformation.” – Alejandro González Iñárritu
4. “Do not seek death. But do not fear it either. There cannot be life without death; it is inescapable.” – Keisei Tagami
5. “Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through and pour a torrent of light into our dark world.” – Mary Shelley
6. “Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome.” – Isaac Asimov
7. “When life and death itself are unexpected, what more can you expect from it?” – Anonymous
8. “If a man can bridge the gap between life and death, if he can live on after he’s dead, then maybe he was a great man.” – James Dean
9. “You do not understand even life. How can you understand death?” – Confucius
10. “Life and death matter, yes. And the question of how to behave in this world, how to go in the face of everything. Time is short, and the water is rising.” – Raymond Carver
Wise Quotes About Life and Death
11. “Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it.” – Haruki Murakami
12. “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” – Norman Cousins
13. “If life must not be taken too seriously, then so neither must death.” – Samuel Butler
14. “I would rather die a meaningful death than live a meaningless life.” – Corazon Aquino
15. “You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death to you.” – C.S. Lewis
16. “‘Why do people love me but hate you?’ Because you are a beautiful life and I’m a painful truth.” – Anonymous
17. “Life is too short when you think of the length of death.” – Sean Mangan
18. “The tragedy of life is not death but what we let die inside of us while we live.” – Anonymous
Life and Death Quotes That’ll Make You Enjoy Every Moment
19. “I’m the one that’s got to die when it’s time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.” – Jimi Hendrix
20. “You needn’t die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from the beginning to the end.” – Stephen King
21. “Because life is fragile and death inevitable, we must make the most of each day.” – Thomas S. Monson
Short Life and Death Quotes That Zoom in on Human Existence
22. “The goal of all life is death.” – Sigmund Freud
23. “Nothing in life is promised except death.” – Kanye West
24. “Death must exist for life to have meaning.” – Neal Shusterman
25. “Until death, it is all life.” – Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
26. “The only certainty life contains is death.” – Patricia Briggs
27. “Our life is made by the death of others.” – Leonardo da Vinci
28. “In the midst of life, we are in death.” – Agatha Christie
29. “Nothing is a matter of life and death except life and death.” – Angela Carter
30. “Life and death are important. Don’t suffer them in vain.” – Bodhidharma
31. “If you have fun, fine. It’s not all life and death.” – Bill Parcells
32. “I believe in the freedom of choice in both life and death.” – Dasha Zhukova
Deep Life and Death Quotes to Change Your Worldview
33. “Life and death. They are somehow sweetly and beautifully mixed, but I don’t know how.” – Gloria Swanson
34. “The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?” – Edgar Allan Poe
35. “Life is for the living. Death is for the dead. Let life be like music. And death a note unsaid.” – Langston Hughes
36. “Loss and possession, death and life are one. There falls no shadow where there shines no sun.” – Hilaire Belloc
37. “Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves.” – Rabindranath Tagore
38. “Death is like a mirror in which the true meaning of life is reflected.” – Sogyal Rinpoche
39. “Death, so-called, is a thing which makes men weep, and yet a third of life is passed in sleep.” – Lord Byron
40. “There is one who remembers the way to your door: the life you may evade, but the death you shall not.” – T.S. Eliot
41. “Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.” – Ernest Hemingway
Life and Death Quotes to Help You Face Reality
42. “Life is short; death is forever.” – Marsha Qualey
43. “I discovered to my joy that it is life, not death, that has no limits.” – Gabriel García Márquez
44. “Death is unstoppable. One must face it as a fact of life.” – D. Aswini
45. “Death is more universal than life; everyone dies, but not everyone lives.” – Andrew Sachs
46. “Death is not the end of life; it is the beginning of an eternal journey.” – Debasish Mridha
47. “Life will undertake to separate us, and we must each set off in search of our own path, our own destiny or our own way of facing death.” – Paulo Coelho
Life and Death Quotes to Remember When Things Get Hard
48. “Even death, faced with the option of death or life, she would choose life.” – José Saramago
49. “When confronted with two alternatives, life and death, one is to choose death without hesitation.” – Yamamoto Tsunetomo
50. “Life after death is the elephant in the living room, the one that we are not supposed to notice. Our culture, which prides itself on its open-mindedness and candor, shows an intense antipathy to facing the greatest of all human questions.” – Dinesh D’Souza
Life and Death Quotes for Those Who Are Afraid to Die
51. “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.” – Mark Twain
52. “Less base the fear of death than fear of life.” – Edward Young
53. “Live your life so that the fear of death can never enter your heart.” – Tecumseh
54. “I believe that fear of life brings a greater fear of death.” – David Blaine
55. “Do not fear death so much but rather the inadequate life.” – Bertolt Brecht
56. “The more you transform your life from the material to the spiritual domain, the less you become afraid of death. A person who lives a truly spiritual life has no fear of death.” – Leo Tolstoy
More Life and Death Quotes From the Bible
57. “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” – Proverbs 18:21
58. “To the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life. And who is adequate for these things?” – 2 Corinthians 2:16
59. “See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, and death and adversity.” – Deuteronomy 30:15
60. “You shall also say to this people, ‘Thus,’ says the Lord, ‘Behold, I set before you the way of life and the way of death.’” – Jeremiah 21:8
What Do You Think of the Relationship Between Life and Death?
Some people are afraid to live, and others are scared to die. These two fears are the biggest obstacles in people’s lives. If the person has no courage to face the realities of their life, these fears will be like invisible chains around them, holding them back from being happy.
As we move forward, we must understand that life and death are part of human existence; we must accept that every person is placed on earth for a short time. Even though our lives are short, this doesn’t mean we should spend all our time dwelling on the fact that we will die. Instead, we should appreciate the present moment and strive to live meaningful lives.
God gave us a chance to experience the beauty of our existence. So, try to do things you have never done before and experience everything in your life. Life is too short, and death is inevitable; once your life is gone, you’ll never have a chance to experience it again.
With that, we hope this list of quotes was able to give you a better understanding of life and death. Remember not to fear death. Instead, live each day as if it were your last so that when your time comes, you will be ready to meet it wholeheartedly!