If you love music from the ‘70s and ‘80s, you’ll enjoy this collection of the best Mamma Mia! quotes from both movies.
Mamma Mia! is a 2008 movie that centers on Sophia and Donna, a mother and daughter living on a paradise-like Greek island. Sophie is soon to be married and wants to walk down the aisle with her father escorting her.
So, she reads through her mother’s diary and discovers three men who would probably be her father. Things take a hilarious turn when she invites them all to her wedding without knowing who her actual dad is.
The movie ended wholesomely, with the three men sharing their fatherly rights. Donna also falls back in love with one of them!
Mamma Mia! was such a hit that in 2018, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again was released. Aside from their plots being anchored on lessons on love and life, the Mamma Mia! franchise is also adored because of its soundtrack based on ABBA’s hit songs.
Join us as we revisit our favorite quotes from both movies below! We’ve listed our favorites for you.
And don’t forget to check out these Grease quotes and The Greatest Showman quotes.
Best Mamma Mia Quotes
1. “I don’t know what my future holds, but life is short, the world is wide, and I want to make some memories.” – Donna Sheridan
2. “This place has taught me so much about friendship, loyalty, and love. But most importantly, it taught me that the best things in life, the very best things happen unexpectedly.” – Donna Sheridan
3. “When you fall, you fall. And when you’ve been defeated by love, you’re utterly defeated.” – Harry Bright
4. “Whatever you dream, we’ll make it real.” – Señor Fernando Cienfuegos
5. Tanya Chesham-Leigh: “Whatever happened to our Donna? Life and soul of the party! El Rock Chick Supremo!”
Donna Sheridan: “I grew up.”
Tanya Chesham-Leigh: “Well, then, grow back down again!”
Inspirational Quotes From Mamma Mia
6. “Do what makes your soul shine.” – Rosie Mulligan
7. “May the best of our lives be the best of our lives.” – Tanya Chesham-Leigh
8. “You have the courage of a lion, the passion of a panther, and the wisdom of a flamingo.” – Señor Fernando Cienfuegos
9. “Nothing focuses the mind like the last minute.” – Sophie Sheridan
Wise Mamma Mia Quotes About Life, Self-Growth, and Identity
10. Sophie Sheridan: “It’s about knowing who I am and—and I wanted to get married knowing who I am!”
Sky Ramand: “That doesn’t come from finding your father. That comes from finding yourself, and the irony is, I was traveling to find myself, and I put everything on hold—for you. Because I loved you, and I wanted what you wanted. Now I don’t know.”
Sophie Sheridan: “You don’t know if you love me.”
Sky Ramand: “Of course I love you. I just wish you’d told me!”
11. “In your case, age becomes you as it does a tree, the wine, and cheese.” – Greek Customs Officer
12. “There’s an island, Kalokairi. People used to think if you sailed on from there, you’d fall off the edge of the world. That sounds like the place for me.” – Donna Sheridan
13. “Look at you! God! Stop growing! You sound like you’re having fun already.” – Donna Sheridan
14. “All my life, there’s been this huge unanswered question, and I don’t want any more secrecy.” – Sophie Sheridan
Mamma Mia Quotes on Love and Marriage
15. “I’ve done the big white wedding, and believe me, it doesn’t always end in happy ever after.” – Sam Carmichael
16. “We danced on the beach, and we kissed on the beach, and dot, dot, dot.” – Sophie Sheridan
17. “I don’t know how to sing about love if I’m not feeling it.” – Donna Sheridan
18. “I have two grown children. I know something about letting go.” – Sam Carmichael
19. “It’s my stag do—my last night of freedom. Which is how some people might see it. But for me, it’s the last night before the greatest adventure of my life.” – Sky Ramand
20. “I want the perfect wedding, and I want my father to give me away.” – Sophie Sheridan
Mamma Mia Quotes on Family
21. “God, I love Sky, and I want to be with him, and I—I don’t want my children growing up, not knowing who their father is, because it’s just, it’s crap!” – Sophie Sheridan
22. “It’s not easy being a mother. If it was, fathers would do it.” – Donna Sheridan
23. “I don’t care if you slept with hundreds of men, you’re my mom, and I love you so much.” – Sophie Sheridan
24. “I feel like there’s a part of me missing, and when I meet my dad, everything will fall into place.” – Sophie Sheridan
Funny Mamma Mia Lines and Sayings to Make You Laugh
25. “Being a grudge holder makes you fat.” – Ruby Sheridan
26. “Typical, isn’t it? You wait 20 years for a dad, and then 3 come along at once.” – Rosie Mulligan
27. “It’s just over the years people have tended to be extremely complimentary about my ears.” – Harry Bright
28. “I’m just whining. You know me. I don’t need to be taken care of.” – Donna Sheridan
29. Harry Bright: “Bugger.”
Sam Carmichael: “My sentiments exactly.”
30. Donna Sheridan: “Why are you here? What are you doing here?”
Bill Anderson: “I’m writing a travel piece.”
Harry Bright: “I’m—I’m here on a spontaneous holiday.”
Sam Carmichael: “Er, I just dropped in to say—hi.”
Short Mamma Mia Quotes for Your Instagram Captions
31. “Little boys who play with fire get their fingers burned.” – Tanya Chesham-Leigh
32. “When you know, you know.” – Harry Bright
33. “You give that woman hell when you get home.” – Rosie Mulligan
34. “I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow.” – Sky Ramand
35. “I better be dreaming; you better not be here.” – Donna Sheridan
What Did Your Favorite Characters Teach You?
Both Mamma Mia! movies teach us more about life, identity, and love. By living through Donna and Sophie’s experiences, we also get a better handle on the things that happen in our lives.
For one, Donna says, “Life is short, the world is wide, and I want to make some memories.” Through this statement, she helps us understand that life is all about taking risks!
If we don’t allow ourselves to find the courage to take a leap of faith, we will never really make any real progress in reaching our goals. Everything in life requires taking risks, so remember to be brave enough to grab every opportunity!
Identity is also an important topic discussed in the movies. Sophie has felt lost all her life because a part of her was missing.
However, she slowly realizes that she isn’t incomplete in any way! Finding her fathers helped her grow, but as Sky said, getting to know who she is comes from discovering her own identity.
The Mamma Mia! franchise will make you sing, laugh, and tear up! With that, we hope we were able to help you revisit your favorite scenes from the movies through this collection.