If you’re thinking about starting a garden, these top 70 plant quotes are the signs you’ve been waiting for!
A plant is a living organism that exists in the forms of trees, shrubs, herbs, grasses, ferns, and mosses. Thus, it requires different forms of care depending on the type, location, and size.
Like plants, people are unique on their own. We all have different needs based on our personalities and preferences. But, we’re all the same when it comes to the time and attention needed for us to grow and prosper.
More than that, plants make every space a bit fresher and more livable. Of course, taking care of them isn’t an easy feat, but it’s well worth it!
So, read these plant quotes that will offer you a new perspective and help you see how beneficial plants are to your life!
Start reading here.
Best Plant Quotes
1. “In some native languages, the term for plants translates to ‘Those who take care of us.'” – Robin Wall Kimmerer
2. “The mighty drought could not decimate our roots hidden under the soil from years of suffering. We were plants. We learned to survive!” – Avijeet Das
3. “Plants are also integral to reweaving the connection between land and people. A place becomes a home when it sustains you when it feeds you in the body as well as spirit. To recreate a home, the plants must also return.” – Robin Wall Kimmerer
4. “Plants are more courageous than almost all human beings. An orange tree would rather die than produce lemons, whereas instead of dying, the average person would rather be someone they are not.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
5. “Working with plants will teach you all other social commitments in a soothing way.” – Karthikeyan V.
6. “Plants do not speak, but their silence is alive with change.” – May Sarton
7. “You have to get up and plant the seed and see if it grows. But you can’t just wait around. You have to water it and take care of it.” – Bootsy Collins
8. “No other life is as pure as the plants. It is no wonder we cannot understand them.” – Robert Black
9. “Every breath is a giveaway dance between you and the plants.” – Susun Weed
Famous Plant Quotes
10. “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” – Warren Buffett
11. “We are made for loving. If we don’t love, we will be like plants without water.” – Desmond Tutu
12. “There are no happier folks than plant lovers and none more generous than those who garden.” – Ernest Wilson
13. “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb
14. “If we plant the right seeds, tomorrow will be better. If you put out good things, then you’ll get good things back. That’s part of our responsibility as entertainers.” – Ben Vereen
15. “To plant trees is to give body and life to one’s dreams of a better world.” – Russell Page
Inspirational Plant Quotes
16. “You know those plants that are always trying to find the light? Maybe they were planted in a location that didn’t necessarily facilitate growth, but inexplicably they make a circuitous route to not only survive but bloom into a beautiful plant. That was me—my whole life.” – Jonathan Van Ness
17. “Plants and flowers taught me how to grow, by growing in secret and in silence.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
18. “I grow plants for many reasons: to please my eye or to please my soul, to challenge the elements or to challenge my patience, for novelty or for nostalgia. But mostly for the joy in seeing them grow.” – David Hobson
19. “A passionate look, touch or a hug on a plant is enough to open your inner eyes than going for a serious yoga and other therapies.” – Karthikeyan V.
20. “The plant is blind, but it knows enough to keep pushing upwards towards the light, and it will continue to do this in the face of endless discouragements.” – George Orwell
21. “Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.” – Og Mandino
22. “A plant needs to do more than stretch its leaves toward the sun. It also needs to send down roots deep into the ground. They hold on tightly in the dark, out of sight, where it is easy to forget about them. But it is the fact that a plant can do these two things at once, anchoring itself to the earth even as it reaches for the sky, that makes it strong.” – Cameron Dokey
Plant Quotes to Show Its Similarities With People
23. “People are like plants. They grow. They change every day.” – Curtis Jackson
24. “Like people, plants respond to extra attention.” – H. Peter Loewer
25. “Trees and plants always look like the people they live with, somehow.” – Zora Neale Hurston
26. “We can’t change people, but we can plant seeds that may one day bloom in them.” – Mary Davis
27. “We are the same as plants, as trees, as other people, as the rain that falls. We consist of that which is around us. We are the same as everything.” – Gautama Buddha
28. “Whatever seeds each man cultivates will grow to maturity and bear in him their own fruit. If they be vegetative, he will be like a plant.” – Giovanni Pico della Mirandola
29. “Some people plant in the spring and leave in the summer. If you’re signed up for a season, see it through. You don’t have to stay forever, but at least stay until you see it through.” – Jim Rohn
Informative Plant Quotes for Those Who Seek Its Benefits
30. “Your intuitive powers increase when you are with plants because your mind is silenced and you become more aware in the present moment.” – Sanchita Pandey
31. “I don’t know whether nice people tend to grow roses or growing roses makes people nice.” – Roland A. Browne
32. “The fact that I can plant a seed and it becomes a flower shares a bit of knowledge. It becomes another’s smile at someone and receives a smile in return. These are to me continual spiritual exercises.” – Leo Buscaglia
33. “You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy plants, and that’s pretty much the same thing.” – Anonymous
Plant Quotes That’ll Make Your Heart Bloom With Love
34. “Love and work are to people what water and sunshine are to plants.” – Jonathan Haidt
35. “Every leaf that grows will tell you: what you sow will bear fruit. So if you have any sense, my friend, don’t plant anything but love.” – Rumi
36. “We’ve got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can’t just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it’s going to get on by itself. You’ve got to keep watering it. You’ve got to really look after it and nurture it.” – John Lennon
37. “I think of love and marriage in the same way I do plants: we have perennials and annuals. The perennial plant blooms go away and come back. The annual blooms for just a season, and then winter arrives and takes it out for good. But it still enriches the soil for the next flower to bloom. In the same way, no love is wasted.” – Glennon Doyle Melton
38. “If a person cannot love a plant after he has pruned it, he has either done a poor job or is devoid of emotion.” – Liberty Hyde Bailey
39. “One day is not enough to green our earth. Planting, caring, and loving are also expecting our earth from us. Do it. It will heal not only the land but also your body and mind.” – Karthikeyan V.
Short Plant Quotes for Every Nature Lover
40. “Plant a seed so your heart will grow.” – Hafez
41. “He who plants a tree plants hope.” – Lucy Larcom
42. “Plants cry their gratitude for the sun in green joy.” – Astrid Alauda
43. “Plants can’t solve all problems, but they’re a great start.” – Anonymous
44. “All life on earth emanates from the green of the plant.” – Jay Kordich
45. “Everyone ought to plant a tree in their lifetime.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
46. “Plants stand still and wait to be counted.” – John L. Harper
47. “He that plants trees, loves others besides himself.” – Thomas Fuller
Also read: Tree Quotes
Plant Quotes That Highlight Its Importance in the World
48. “Plants are solar-powered air purifiers whose filter never needs replacing.” – Khang Kijarro Nguyen
49. “Plants give us oxygen for the lungs and for the soul.” – Linda Solegato
50. “Look at a tree, a flower, a plant. Let your awareness rest upon it. How still they are, how deeply rooted in being. Allow nature to teach you stillness.” – Eckhart Tolle
51. “The planting of a tree, especially one of the long-living hardwood trees, is a gift which you can make to posterity at almost no cost and with almost no trouble. And if the tree takes root, it will far outlive the visible effect of any of your other actions, good or evil.” – George Orwell
52. “The single greatest lesson the garden teaches is that our relationship to the planet need not be zero-sum and that as long as the sun still shines and people still can plan and plant, think and do, we can, if we bother to try, find ways to provide for ourselves without diminishing the world.” – Michael Pollan
Plant Quotes to Help You Appreciate Your Friends Better
53. “It’s exciting to see things coming up again, plants that you’ve had 20 or 30 years. It’s like seeing an old friend.” – Tasha Tudor
54. “A beautiful plant is like having a friend around the house.” – Beth Ditto
55. “Certain plants, like certain friends, you enjoy having for a visit but do not care to see them remain forever and a day.” – Henry Sherman Adams
56. “I cannot walk into our garden without constantly being reminded of the friends who have shared their plants.” – Allen Lacy
57. “Plants and books are silent friends to mankind. The former grows silently to let you live. The latter grows you silently to live.” – Sridhar Movva
Intriguing Plant Quotes to Ponder On
58. “Until you dig a hole, you plant a tree, you water it and make it survive, you haven’t done a thing. You are just talking.” – Wangari Maathai
59. “What’s growing around you is what you planted. Therefore, if you don’t like the plants, change the seeds.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
60. “We know we cannot plant seeds with closed fists. To sow, we must open our hands.” – Adolfo Perez Esquivel
61. “So plant your own gardens and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.” – Jorge Luis Borges
62. “A man doesn’t plant a tree for himself. He plants it for posterity.” – Alexander Smith
63. “If you plan for a year, plant a seed. If for 10 years, plant a tree. If for a hundred years, teach the people. When you sow a seed once, you will reap a single harvest. When you teach the people, you will reap a hundred harvests.” – Kuan Chung
Funny Plant Quotes
64. “If it came from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don’t.” – Michael Pollan
65. “I have no plants in my house. They won’t live for me.” – Jerry Seinfeld
66. “Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.” – Erma Bombeck
67. “A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.” – Doug Larson
68. “My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.” – Mitch Hedberg
69. “Unable to function as plants, we must serve as manure.” – Edward Conze
70. “Most plants taste better when they’ve had to suffer a little.” – Diana Kennedy
Did Our Collection Convince You to Start Growing Your Favorite Plants?
Aside from our usual everyday routine, being able to take care of plants is truly a rewarding feeling. It instills discipline and responsibility in our daily lives. Having these living things also adds a breath of fresh air and comfort inside our homes.
With the help of plants, we can easily venture into self-reflection and entertain thoughts and feelings we never knew we had in us. After all, one way of getting in touch with ourselves is by being one with nature.
In a more profound sense, plants also teach us various lessons. For one, we learn about standing tall and pushing upward toward the light, even when faced with countless discouragements. We also understand that it’s okay to be vulnerable and open to others’ help in this process.
So, we hope that these plant quotes were able to instill a lesson or two in your daily life. Feel free to revisit this collection whenever you need a reminder to take life easy. Enjoy the breeze—just like plants!
Which of these plant quotes inspired you? What is your favorite plant? We’d love to hear your thoughts, so comment below!