Reading this list of stillness quotes will help refresh your spirit, renew your focus, and make you appreciate the present moment!
In a world full of noise, busy work schedules, and constant movement, stillness is something we need to strive for.
After all, life’s filled with distractions, and it is the only thing that would allow us a moment to breathe and reflect on what’s essential in life.
Stillness is like a deep breath for your soul. It’s a refreshing, revitalizing, and relaxing pause away from life’s chaos. Sadly, other people misinterpret this as a waste of time, which is not true.
There’s nothing wrong with taking a moment to be still, sit with our thoughts, and connect with our surroundings. Our minds and bodies need it.
By being still, we can achieve a higher level of consciousness and a deeper connection with ourselves.
These are things that only stillness can do. So, if you’re interested in the essence of stillness in our lives, check out this collection.
Our list below will give you peace of mind and a moment to reflect on yourself!
Best Stillness Quotes
1. “Be still. Stillness reveals the secrets of eternity.” – Lao Tzu
2. “In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.” – Deepak Chopra
3. “Only in stillness does the imperceivable become discernible.” – Bryant McGill
4. “In listening and stillness, there is nobody who is still, and this stillness doesn’t refer to any object; it is absolutely objectless; it is our real nature.” – Jean Klein
5. “Learning how to be still, to really be still and let life happen, that stillness becomes a radiance.” – Morgan Freeman
6. “The stillness in stillness is not the real stillness; only when there is stillness in movement does the universal rhythm manifest.” – Bruce Lee
7. “Stillness is where creativity and solutions are found.” – Meister Eckhart
8. “In the stillness of the quiet, if we listen, we can hear the whisper of the heart giving strength to weakness, courage to fear, hope to despair.” – Howard Thurman
9. “The secret of the receptive must be sought in stillness; within stillness, there remains the potential for action.” – Sun Bu’er
10. “Within you, there is a stillness and sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.” – Hermann Hesse
Famous Quotes on Stillness
11. “There was a sudden stillness like the gap between ticks on a clock, but the next tick never coming.” – Sadie Jones
12. “Nothing but stillness can remain when hearts are full of their own sweetness, bodies of their loveliness.” – William Butler Yeats
13. “Stillness is where the answers to many of our questions come from.” – Christine Comaford
14. “In stillness, the muddied water returns to clarity.” – Lao Tzu
15. “Stillness is not about focusing on nothingness; it’s about creating an emotional clearing to allow ourselves to feel, think, dream, and question.” – Brené Brown
16. “Stillness is the only thing in this world that has no form. But then, it is not really a thing, and it is not of this world.” – Eckhart Tolle
17. “There is nothing as certain as silence, stillness, and solitude to introduce you to the secrets of yourself.” – Guy Finley
18. “To see another with clarity and objectivity, one first must master stillness.” – Alberto Villoldo
19. “When you enter a place of stillness, you awaken the divinity within you.” – Peggy Sealfon
20. “There is a stillness in all of us that is really the essence of who we are. A stillness and a silence that doesn’t move that doesn’t go anywhere, and our task is to experience that while being in time.” – Roger Housden
Also read: Famous Quotes
Short Stillness Quotes to Soothe Your Soul
21. “Activity conquers cold, but stillness conquers heat.” – Lao Tzu
22. “Build pockets of stillness into your life.” – Maria Popova
23. “True power is stillness within motion.” – Lao Tzu
24. “The self must know stillness before it can discover its true song.” – Ralph Brum
25. “Clarity is often found in stillness.” – Christie Golden
26. “Who acts in stillness finds stillness in his life.” – Lao Tzu
27. “The greatest fault of the day is the absence of stillness.” – Inayat Khan
28. “When we sit in stillness, we are profoundly active.” – Gunilla Brodde Norris
29. “Stillness is the foundation of understanding and insight.” – Thích Nhất Hạnh
30. “With stillness comes the benediction of peace.” – Eckhart Tolle
31. “Stillness within one individual can affect society beyond measure.” – Bede Griffiths
32. “Inner stillness is the key to outer strength.” – Jared Brock
33. “Stillness is the altar of the spirit.” – Paramahansa Yogananda
Stillness Quotes That’ll Serve as a Breather
34. “Just come into stillness. Have your intention be to relax with your breath. That will begin to set in motion a habit that will start to train the mind.” – Tara Brach
35. “Comfort will never come to one who does not touch the stillness within himself.” – Sadhguru
36. “Find a moment of stillness, give your heart a chance to tell you where you really need to be.” – Dodinsky
37. “I bathed myself in silence, wrapped warmly in the comfort of the quiet. Yes, the stillness accepts us as we are.” – Liz Newman
38. “Compose yourself in stillness, draw your attention inward and devote your mind to the self. The wisdom you seek lies within.” – Bhagavad Gita
Wise Stillness Quotes to Awaken Your Inner Being
39. “Stillness is our most intense mode of action. It is in our moments of deep quiet that is born every idea, emotion, and drive, which we eventually honor with the name of action. We reach highest in meditation and farthest in prayer. In stillness, every human being is great.” – Leonard Bernstein
40. “One’s action ought to come out of an achieved stillness—not to be a mere rushing on.” – D. H. Lawrence
41. “It is only with total humility, and in the absolute stillness of mind that we can know what indeed we are.” – Wu Wei
42. “Do not take hold of a past that no longer serves you, but embrace the stillness that is right now.” – Michelle Cruz
43. “Even in stillness, there is movement. Sometimes it takes time for the molecules of change to shift form. Even when it feels like nothing is happening, transformation is taking place.” – Anonymous
44. “Being still, looking, and listening activates the non-conceptual intelligence within you. Let stillness direct your words and actions.” – Eckhart Tolle
45. “Stillness, the wide-eyed stillness, blinks and at once we are awakened—softly, gently, into the mystery of the spaces we breathe.” – Segovia Amil
46. “Your first daily priority should be stillness, attention to what you really know and what you really feel.” – Martha Beck
47. “Stillness is not the absence or negation of energy, life, or movement. Stillness is dynamic. It is unconflicted movement, life in harmony with itself, skill in action. It can be experienced whenever there is total, uninhibited, unconflicted participation at the moment you are in—when you are wholeheartedly present with whatever you are doing.” – Erich Schiffmann
The Power of Stillness Quotes
48. “Stillness is the most powerful virtue against all odds in life.” – Aditya Ajmera
49. “It is the stillness that will save and transform the world.” – Eckhart Tolle
50. “In the stillness, the voice inside is louder, much louder, and cannot be ignored.” – Diane Brown
51. “To meet everything and everyone through stillness instead of mental noise is the greatest gift you can offer the universe.” – Eckhart Tolle
52. “There is in stillness oft a magic power to calm the breast, when struggling passions lower; touched by its influence, in the soul arise diviner feelings, kindred with the skies.” – John Henry Newman
Stillness Quotes From the Bible
53. “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” – Psalm 46:10
54. “He got up, rebuked the wind, and said to the waves, ‘Quiet! Be still!’ Then the wind died down, and it was completely calm.” – Mark 4:39
55. “He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.” – Psalm 107:29
Also read: Bible Quotes
Calming Stillness Quotes for All Nature Lovers
56. “Look at a tree, a flower, a plant. Let your awareness rest upon it. How still they are, how deeply rooted in Being. Allow nature to teach you stillness.” – Eckhart Tolle
57. “Stillness is your essential nature.” – Eckhart Tolle
58. “Her vision of the world under the water represented a beautiful stillness, a version of heaven.” – Ann Brashares
59. “Men do not mirror themselves in running water. They mirror themselves in still water. Only what is still can still the stillness of other things.” – Zhuang Zhou
Stillness Quotes That’ll Remind You of God’s Everlasting Love
60. “In the stillness of life, we find our higher self. Be still, and God is with you. Be still, and you are never alone.” – Donald L. Hicks
61. “If the greatest God is the stillness, all the motions add up to. Then we must ineluctably be included.” – A. R. Ammons
62. “Nothing in all creation is so like God as stillness.” – Meister Eckhart
63. “The sound of gentle stillness after all the thunder and wind have passed will be the ultimate word from God.” – Jim Elliot
64. “Whenever there is stillness, there is the still small voice, God’s speaking from the whirlwind, nature’s old song, and dance.” – Annie Dillard
Also read: God’s Love Quotes
More Stillness Quotes to Clear Your Mind
65. “A horrid stillness first invades the ear and in that silence we the tempest fear.” – John Dryden
66. “Slow is fast, gentle is powerful, and stillness moves mountains.” – Martha Beck
67. “Being still does not mean don’t move. It means move in peace.” – E’yen A. Gardner
68. “Sometimes finding that quiet stillness within us is our highest and greatest aspiration.” – Anonymous
69. “I felt very still and empty, the way the eye of a tornado must feel, moving dully along in the middle of the surrounding hullabaloo.” – Sylvia Plath
70. “If we sit with an increasing stillness of the body and attune our mind to the sky or to the ocean or to the myriad stars at night, or any other indicators of vastness, the mind gradually stills, and the heart is filled with quiet joy.” – Ravi Ravindra
Do You Think Stillness Is Vital to Cultivating a Happy Mind, Body, and Soul?
We live in a world where being busy is glorified, and we’re constantly encouraged to keep moving. Sitting still might sound like a waste of time and unproductive to some. But, the truth is that stillness is something we must keep in mind and practice more often.
Stillness helps us slow down and be present with ourselves and with others. It helps us focus on what’s important and appreciate the things around us. After all, sometimes, you just need to take a step back and observe life from a distance to fully appreciate everything that’s going on.
Taking the time to be still is a great way to appreciate the world around you. Sometimes, we need a moment to sit down and see the beauty of life. So, for those who need to take time to breathe, think, and reflect—stillness will be the perfect solution.
Hopefully, this list of stillness quotes was able to bring calmness to your mind. Always remember that taking a breather from your busy life is okay. So, if you ever fall into the habit of working too much again, remember this collection and find some time for yourself!