This collection of volunteer quotes will surely encourage you to spread kindness and love around the world.
Life is full of people who are deprived of essential services, freedom, and independence. To volunteer is to extend a helping hand to others while also freeing ourselves. It is an act of love and courage that will change the world a little better.
Let these quotes enlighten you about spreading kindness in the world. Read our collection below to know more.
Start reading here.
Best Volunteer Quotes
1. “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
2. “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.” – Muhammad Ali
3. “Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You don’t have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace—a soul generated by love.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
4. “Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they’re worthless, but because they’re priceless.” – Sherry Anderson
5. “Alone, we can do so little. Together, we can do so much.” – Helen Keller
6. “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
7. “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
8. “Wherever you turn, you can find someone who needs you. Even if it is a little thing, do something for which there is no pay but the privilege of doing it. Remember, you don’t live in the world all of your own.” – Albert Schweitzer
9. “No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.” – James Allen
10. “What is the essence of life? To serve others and to do good.” – Aristotle
11. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands—one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” – Audrey Hepburn
12. “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” – Oscar Wilde
13. “Volunteers do not necessarily have the time. They have the heart.” – Elizabeth Andrew
14. “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing for others?” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
15. “Doing nothing for others is the undoing of ourselves.” – Horace Mann
Quotes to Inspire You to Volunteer
16. “Volunteering is at the very core of being a human. No one has made it through life without someone else’s help.” – Heather French Henry
17. “I wish to do something great and wonderful, but I must start by doing the little things like they were great and wonderful.” – Albert Einstein
18. “Too often, we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” – Leo Buscaglia
19. “Our generation has the ability and the responsibility to make our evermore connected world a more hopeful, stable, and peaceful place.” – Natalie Portman
20. “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” – Aesop
21. “We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.” – Herman Melville
22. “The willingness to share does not make one charitable. It makes one free.” – Robert Brault
23. “Good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good actions in others.” – Plato
24. “The world changes according to the way people see it, and if you can alter, even by a millimeter, the way people look at reality, then you can change the world.” – James Baldwin
25. “It is not enough to be compassionate—you must act.” – Dalai Lama
26. “Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.” – Robert Kennedy
27. “Volunteerism is the voice of the people put into action. These actions shape and mold the present into a future of which we can all be proud.” – Helen Dyer
28. “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
29. “Nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something.” – Anonymous
30. “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
Quotes That Will Encourage You to Volunteer and Take Action
31. “Every person can make a difference, and every person should try.” – John F. Kennedy
32. “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – William Shakespeare
33. “I urge young people to consider public service, whether they do it now by volunteering in their community or prepare for public service as an adult.” – John Walters
34. “The quality of your life will be determined by the quality of your contribution. When you work to improve the lives of others, your life improves automatically.” – Kurek Ashley
35. “You may not have saved a lot of money in your life, but if you have saved a lot of heartaches for other folks, you are a pretty rich man.” – Seth Parker
36. “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” – William James
37. “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” – Albert Pike
38. “It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
39. “There is no better exercise for your heart than reaching down and helping to lift someone up.” – Bernard Meltzer
40. “As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness.” – Dieter F. Uchtdorf
41. “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something.” – Edward Everett
42. “Start by doing what’s necessary, then do what’s possible, and suddenly, you are doing the impossible.” – St. Francis of Assisi
43. “I always wondered why somebody didn’t do something about that, then I realized I was somebody.” – Lily Tomlin
44. “You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end, each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time, share a general responsibility for all humanity. Our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful.” – Marie Curie
45. “The unselfish effort to bring cheer to others will be the beginning of a happier life for ourselves.” – Helen Keller
Quotes on How Volunteers Spread Kindness in the World
46. “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.” – Albert Schweitzer
47. “How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it!” – George Elliston
48. “While earning your daily bread, be sure you share a slice with those less fortunate.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
49. “If you become a helper of hearts, springs of wisdom will flow from your heart.” – Rumi
50. “Being good is commendable, but only when it is combined with doing good is it useful.” – Anonymous
51. “Kindness, like a boomerang, always returns.” – Anonymous
52. “A noble leader answers not to the trumpet calls of self-promotion, but to the hushed whispers of necessity.” – Mollie Marti
53. “Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation’s compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain loving one another.” – Erma Bombeck
54. “Volunteering is an act of heroism on a grand scale, and it matters profoundly. It does more than help people beat the odds. It changes the odds.” – William J. Clinton
55. “Humanity progresses because of attempts to serve. and the more you serve others, the more you’re serving yourself.” – Aniekee Tochukwu Ezekiel
56. “Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
57. “Even if you just change one life, you’ve changed the world forever.” – Mike Satterfield
58. “It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal.” – Joaquin Phoenix
59. “The broadest, and maybe the most meaningful definition of volunteering—doing more than you have to because you want to, in a cause you consider good.” – Ivan Scheier
60. “At the end of the day, it’s not about what you have or even what you’ve accomplished. It’s about who you’ve lifted up, who you’ve made better. It’s about what you’ve given back.” – Denzel Washington
Quotes About the Power of Collective Movement in Volunteerism
61. “We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.” – Mother Teresa
62. “Allow the way to your great work to be guided by your service to others.” – Mollie Marti
63. “No one is more cherished in this world than someone who lightens the burden of another.” – Charles Dickens
64. “Help one another. There’s no time like the present and no present like the time.” – James Durst
65. “Those who can, do. Those who can do more, volunteer.” – Anonymous
66. “Service to humanity is service to God.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
67. “Do your little bit of good where you are. It’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.” – Desmond Tutu
68. “If you ever need a helping hand, it is at the end of your arm.” – Audrey Hepburn
69. “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” – Ronald Reagan
70. “The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.” – John E. Southard
Volunteer Quotes That Will Push You to Make a Difference
71. “Only by giving are you able to receive more than you already have.” – Jim Rohn
72. “An effort made for the happiness of others lifts us above ourselves.” – Lydia Maria Child
73. “You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.” – Kahlil Gibran
74. “If our hopes of building a better and safer world are to become more than wishful thinking, we will need the engagement of volunteers more than ever.” – Kofi Annan
75. “If you want to touch the past, touch a rock. If you want to touch the present, touch a flower. If you want to touch the future, touch a life.” – Anonymous
76. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” – Dr. Seuss
77. “Gratitude is the memory of the heart.” – Jean Baptiste Massieu
78. “If only I could so live and so serve the world that after me there should never again be birds in cages.” – Karen Blixen
79. “The purpose of life is not to be happy, but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all.” – Leo Rosten
80. “The question is whether or not you choose to disturb the world around you, or if you choose to let it go on as if you had never arrived.” – Ann Patchett
Quotes on Why You Should Start Volunteering
81. “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” – Anne Frank
82. “I should dearly love that the world should be ever so little better for my presence. Even on this small stage, we have our two sides, and something might be done by throwing all one’s weight on the scale of breadth, tolerance, charity, temperance, peace, and kindliness to man and beast. We can’t all strike very big blows, and even the little ones count for something.” – Arthur Conan Doyle
83. “You wanted to be the difference, to make a change, to light up someone’s life. You wanted to be better than you were, to grow and develop; to be stronger.” – Georgina
84. “True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar. It is not haphazard and superficial. It comes to see that an edifice that produces beggars needs restructuring.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
85. “The more one forgets himself by giving himself to a cause to serve or another person to love. The more human he is, and the more he actualizes himself.” – Viktor Frankl
86. “The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope. You will fill yourself with hope.” – Barack Obama
87. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
88. “We are all like one-winged angels. It is only when we help each other that we can fly.” – Luciano De Crescenzo
89. “We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable.” – Alexander Solzhenitsyn
90. “Charity knows neither race nor creed.” – Talmud
91. “I have walked through many lives, some of them my own, and I am not who I was.” – Stanley Kunitz
92. “The true voyage of discovery is not a journey to a new place. It is learning to see with new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
93. “I don’t know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know—the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.” – Albert Schweitzer
94. “Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.” – James Matthew Barrie
95. “Not only must we be good, but we must also be good for something.” – Henry David Thoreau
More Quotes About What It Means to Volunteer
96. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” – Buddha
97. “It expands your heart to realise that we all share a need for a home, and the need to make a home for others.” – Manuela
98. “Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted, the indifference of those who should have known better, the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most, that has made it possible for evil to triumph.” – Haile Selassie
99. “Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.” – Minor Myers Jr.
100. “Unselfish and noble actions are the most radiant pages in the biography of souls.” – David Thomas
101. “Our fingerprints don’t fade from the lives we’ve touched.” – Will Fetters
102. “I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back.” – Maya Angelou
103. “The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not expect to sit.” – Nelson Henderson
104. “The interior joy we feel when we have done a good deed is the nourishment the soul requires.” – Albert Schweitzer
105. “There is a loftier ambition than merely to stand high in the world. It is to stoop down and lift mankind a little higher.” – Henry van Dyke
106. “Discover your gift, develop your gift, and then give it away every day.” – Don Meyer
107. “One person caring about another represents life’s greatest value.” – John Rohn
108. “You don’t choose the day you enter the world, and you don’t choose the day you leave. It’s what you do in between that makes all the difference.” – Anita Septimus
109. “People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.” – Edmund Hillary
110. “We can find meaning and reward by serving some higher purpose than ourselves, a shining purpose, the illumination of a thousand points of light.” – George H.W. Bush
Did These Quotes Motivate You to Do Good for Yourself, Others, and the World?
We are in a society that teaches us to prioritize individual interests. As we grow up, we are more awakened to the importance and healing effect of collective action. Once we realize the power of groups in making the world a better place, we are more driven to do something.
Volunteering fills our hearts with love and compassion that is nurturing to our souls. Giving ourselves to the masses provides us with a sense of purpose and drive to change.
Just remember that any act, no matter how small, can have a significant impact on another person’s life. So, start serving the people and take action now.
Did you learn a lot about volunteering in this collection? Do you have a favorite quote? Don’t forget to leave a comment below.