This list of What About Bob? quotes contains the most iconic lines from the characters that’ll make you want to watch the movie over and over again!
What About Bob? revolves around Bob Wiley, a man who lives in fear. He suffers from several phobias that interfere with his daily life. So, he seeks therapy from Dr. Leo Marvin, who is away on vacation with his family.
Due to his fears, Bob goes above and beyond by following Dr. Marvin in order to receive the help he sorely needs. He crashes his doctor’s family vacation, and though it is pretty inappropriate, this begins to change his life.
During his stay with Dr. Marvin, Bob begins to take baby steps toward conquering his fears. He realized that, even if you have a great doctor to guide you, the best therapist will be no one other than himself.
To learn more about Bob’s life and breakthrough, read on!
And don’t forget to check out these Son in Law quotes and The Pink Panther quotes.
Best What About Bob? Quotes
1. Bob Wiley: “You ever hear of Tourette’s syndrome? Involuntarily shouting profanity?”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “It’s exceptionally rare.”
Bob Wiley: “Sh*t-eating son of a b*tch! B*stard, douche-bag, tw*t, numb-nuts, d*ckhead, b*tch!”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “Why exactly are you doing this?”
Bob Wiley: “If I fake it, then I don’t have it.”
2. Bob Wiley: “What are we doing?”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “Death Therapy, Bob. It’s a guaranteed cure.”
3. Dr. Leo Marvin: “I want some peace and quiet!”
Bob Wiley: “Well, I’ll be quiet.”
Sigmund Marvin: “I’ll be peace.”
4. “It reminds me of my favorite poem which is, ‘Roses are red, violets are blue, I’m a schizophrenic—and so am I!” – Bob Wiley
5. Dr. Leo Marvin: “Are you married?”
Bob Wiley: “I’m divorced.”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “Would you like to talk about that?”
Bob Wiley: “There are two types of people in this world, those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don’t. My ex-wife loves him.”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “I see. So, what you’re saying is that even though you are an almost-paralyzed, multi-phobic personality who is in a constant state of panic, your wife did not leave you; you left her because she liked Neil Diamond.”
6. Bob Wiley: “Well, I get dizzy spells, nausea, cold sweats, hot sweats, fever blisters, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, blurred vision, involuntary trembling, dead hands, numb lips, fingernail sensitivity, pelvic discomfort.”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “So the real question is, what is the crisis, Bob? What is it you’re truly afraid of?”
Bob Wiley: “What if my heart stops beating? What if I’m looking for a bathroom, I can’t find it, and my bladder explodes?”
7. Dr. Leo Marvin: “You’ve ruined my life! You’ve ruined my career! You’ve ruined my book! You turned a peaceful house into an insane asylum! Get out!”
Anna Marvin: “Daddy!”
Fay Marvin: “My god, Leo. What’s gotten into you?”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “It was a disaster, Fay!”
Fay Marvin: “No, it wasn’t. You were wonderful, sweetie.”
Anna Marvin: “You were fine, dad.”
Sigmund Marvin: “Yeah. Why’d you need to kick Bob out of the house?”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “You think he’s gone? He’s not gone! That’s the whole point. He’s never gone!”
Bob Wiley: “Is this some radical new therapy?”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “You see?”
What About Bob? Quotes for Mantras That You Can Recite Everyday
8. “I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful. I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful. I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful.” – Bob Wiley
9. “Baby steps get on the elevator. Baby steps get on the elevator. Ah, I’m on the elevator.” – Bob Wiley
10. “Good morning, Gil. I said, good morning, Gil.” – Bob Wiley
Thought-Provoking What About Bob? Quotes to Capture Your Attention
11. Dr. Leo Marvin: “Why are you always wearing black? What is it with you and this death fixation?”
Sigmund Marvin: “Maybe I’m in mourning for my lost childhood.”
12. “Hi, I’m Bob. Would you knock me out, please? Just hit me in the face.” – Bob Wiley
13. Dr. Leo Marvin: “This is black powder, Bob. One teaspoon of this stuff can blow up a tree stump. There we go!”
Bob Wiley: “And, how much is this?”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “Twenty pounds worth.”
14. “Oh, Fay, this is so scrumptious. Is this hand-shucked?” – Bob Wiley
15. Dr. Leo Marvin: “That patient, the one who called before, he committed suicide.”
Fay Marvin: “Oh, Leo, how horrible.”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “Oh well, let’s not let it spoil our vacation.”
16. Sigmund Marvin: “I mean, my dad just dropped me in the water, without warning me first. I mean, I nearly drowned! My whole life flashed before my eyes!”
Bob Wiley: “Wow, you’re lucky you’re only 12.”
Sigmund Marvin: “It was still grim.”
17. “The simplest way to put it? I have problems. I worry about diseases, so I have trouble touching things. In public places, it’s almost impossible. I have a really big problem moving.” – Bob Wiley
What About Bob? Quotes for a Sneak Peek of the Movie
18. “The doctor draws two circles and says, ‘What do you see?’ The guy says, ‘Sex.’ Wait a minute; I haven’t even told the joke yet! So the doctor draws trees, ‘What do you see?’ The guy says, ‘Sex.’ The doctor draws a car, an owl, sex, sex, sex. The doctor says to him, ‘You are obsessed with sex,’ he replies, ‘Well you’re the one drawing all the dirty pictures!’” – Bob Wiley
19. Dr. Leo Marvin: “You understand right? There’s no other solution. You won’t go away.”
Bob Wiley: “Yes, I will.”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “No, you won’t. You’re just saying you will so that when I don’t kill you, you’ll show up again and make everyone else in my life think you are wonderful and I’m a schmuck. But I’m not a schmuck Bob, and I’m not going to let you breeze into town and steal my family away just because you’re crazy enough to be fun.”
20. Bob Wiley: “Isn’t this a breakthrough, that I’m a sailor? I sail? I sail now?”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “Keep sailing, Bob!”
21. “Wednesday we’ll eat Gil. On Thursday, we’ll eat Bob! Hahaha, no, no, no, that’s going too far.” – Dr. Leo Marvin
22. Dr. Catherine Tomsky: “If you want to be rid of him, just tell him you won’t treat him anymore.”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “Catherine, that’s easy for you to say. The man is, is like, like human Krazy Glue!”
Dr. Catherine Tomsky: “You should never have let him sleep in your pajamas, Leo.”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “I can’t believe that I’m hearing this!”
Dr. Catherine Tomsky: “Relax, Leo.”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “I’m relaxed!”
Dr. Catherine Tomsky: “Take a vacation.”
Dr. Leo Marvin: “I’m on a vacation!”
Dr. Catherine Tomsky: “Maybe you should check in here for a few days. Get a handle on things!”
More What About Bob? Quotes That Are Worth Every Second of Your Time
23. Bob Wiley: “Baby step on the bus, baby step on the bus—.”
Driver: “Last bus to Lake Winnipesaukee, Bob!”
Bob Wiley: “I know Minh, just give me a moment. Baby steps to the stairs.”
Driver: “Would you be able to board today? We have a ‘baby’ schedule to keep.”
24. Mr. Guttman: “Hello, Dr. Marvin. The house looks nice.”
Mrs. Guttman: “Burn in hell, Dr. Marvin!”
25. “We can’t be expected to understand him. He is so far above us. We are like ropes on the Goodyear Blimp.” – Bob Wiley
Did This Collection Inspire You to Overcome Your Fears?
In the movie, Dr. Marvin tells Bob to overcome his fears and anxieties by taking baby steps. In response to that advice, Bob repeats his “baby steps, baby steps” mantra as he sets off on each new journey. In the end, Bob overcomes all his issues by making little progress one step at a time.
So, take Bob’s breakthrough as an inspiration to be patient with yourself. Don’t expect to see a change immediately. After all, it’ll take countless hours of effort and practice to succeed at one thing.
With that being said, break down your bigger goals into smaller tasks. That way, you free yourself from pressure and let go of the fear of being unable to accomplish it. When unsure where to begin, taking small steps can help you stay on track.
Hopefully, this collection was able to make you realize that progress is progress, no matter how small. Don’t be afraid; just take things slowly and at your own pace!