If you’re looking to be inspired by the most influential women, this collection of Women’s History Month quotes will make you want to be more like them.
We celebrate Women’s History Month to honor the bravery of all ladies in the world. The whole month of May is dedicated to this event to acknowledge the under-recognized contributions of women in our society.
For those who don’t know its essence, Women’s History Month offers us the chance to learn about those who dedicated their lives to fighting for women.
Because of them, our society continues to progress to be safer for everyone. We owe to them the voice given to women today.
Without women, we wouldn’t be where we are right now.
So, to inspire you to participate in Women’s History Month, we’ve prepared this collection that will make you want to join the fight for women’s empowerment.
Read the list below to learn more about their greatness, struggle, and courage.
And don’t forget to check out these strong women quotes.
Best Women’s History Month Quotes
1. “One is not born a woman, one becomes one.” – Simone de Beauvoir
2. “I raise up my voice—not so that I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard. We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
3. “In the future, there will be no female leaders. There will just be leaders.” – Sheryl Sandberg
4. “Women will be hidden no more. We will not remain hidden figures. We have names. It was a woman that gave you Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. It was a woman that gave you Malcolm X. And according to the Bible, it was a woman that gave you Jesus. Don’t you ever forget it.” – Janelle Monáe
5. “Women belong in all places where decisions are being made. It shouldn’t be that women are the exception.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
6. “Women are always at the front of revolutions.” – Buthayna Kamel
7. “I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.” – Audre Lorde
8. “How can we effect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcome to participate in the conversation?” – Emma Watson
9. “A wise woman wishes to be no one’s enemy. A wise woman refuses to be anyone’s victim.” – Maya Angelou
10. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men and women are created equal.” – Elizabeth Cady Stanton
11. “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half of its citizens.” – Michelle Obama
12. “We need to live in a culture that values and respects and looks up to and idolizes women as much as men.” – Emma Watson
13. “I have chosen to no longer be apologetic for my femaleness and my femininity. And I want to be respected in all of my femaleness because I deserve to be.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
14. “Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn’t have the weight of gender expectations.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
15. “Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.” – Margaret Thatcher
Women’s History Month Quotes to Inspire You to Fight for Your Rights
16. “No woman should be told she can’t make decisions about her own body. When women’s rights are under attack, we fight back.” – Kamala Harris
17. “I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.” – Jane Austen
18. “If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to foment a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice or representation.” – Abigail Adams
19. “You don’t get taken seriously by asking someone to take you seriously. You’ve got to show up and own it. If this is a man’s world, who cares? I’m still really glad to be a girl in it.” – Sophia Amoruso
20. “We need to reshape our own perception of how we view ourselves. We have to step up as women and take the lead.” – Beyoncé
21. “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” – Nora Ephron
22. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
23. “If any female feels she needs anything beyond herself to legitimate and validate her existence, she is already giving away her power to be self-defining, her agency.” – Bell Hooks
24. “I am a woman with thoughts and questions and shit to say. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story—I will.” – Amy Schumer
25. “Well-behaved women rarely make history.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Women’s History Month Quotes That Encourage Solidarity
26. “Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women.” – Maya Angelou
27. “Every woman’s success should be an inspiration to another. We’re strongest when we cheer each other on.” – Serena Williams
28. “Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women.” – Nora Ephron
29. “Amazing things happen when women help other women.” – Kasia Gospos
30. “The woman power of this nation can be the power which makes us whole and heals the rotten community, now so shattered by war and poverty and racism. I have great faith in the power of women who will dedicate themselves whole-heartedly to the task of remaking our society.” – Coretta Scott King
Also read: Encouraging Quotes
Women’s History Month Quotes That Exhibit Women’s Greatness
31. “There’s something so special about a woman who dominates in a man’s world. It takes a certain grace, strength, intelligence, fearlessness, and the nerve to never take no for an answer.” – Rihanna
32. “Women are leaders everywhere you look—from the CEO who runs a Fortune 500 company to the housewife who raises her children and heads her household. Our country was built by strong women, and we will continue to break down walls and defy stereotypes.” – Nancy Pelosi
33. “Women are the real architects of society.” – Cher
34. “If you want something said, ask a man. If you want something done, ask a woman.” – Margaret Thatcher
35. “We are mothers. We are caregivers. We are artists. We are activists. We are entrepreneurs, doctors, and leaders of industry and technology. Our potential is unlimited. We rise.” – Alicia Keys
36. “A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture, and transform.” – Diane Mariechild
37. “Females are the most beautiful, gorgeous creatures in the whole world. And I think that we are gorgeous no matter what size we are.” – Alicia Keys
More Women’s History Month Quotes for All the Feminists
38. “Feminism isn’t about making women strong. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.” – G.D. Anderson
39. “Feminism has never been about getting a job for one woman. It’s about making life more fair for women everywhere. It’s not about a piece of the existing pie—there are too many of us for that. It’s about baking a new pie.” – Gloria Steinem
40. “I think transwomen, and trans people in general, show everyone that you can define what it means to be a man or woman on your own terms. A lot of what feminism is about is moving outside of roles and moving outside of expectations of who and what you’re supposed to be to live a more authentic life.” – Laverne Cox
Did These Quotes Inspire You to Struggle Alongside All Women?
For the longest time, women have been considered to be the weaker sex. They have always been treated poorly compared to men because of this belief.
For example, girls are still being harassed in the streets. Second, violence against women is still rampant. Third, women workers are still paid less in many areas of the world.
This is also one of the reasons why we celebrate Women’s History Month—to remind everyone that the fight for women’s rights is not yet over. Despite that, we also cannot deny society’s general progress in how it treats women. Several years of women’s struggle prove that everything is possible if we stand up for what’s right together.
That’s why all of us—men and women—should join forces, hold hands, and strive for an equal world. For all women, continue to take up space and do not hesitate to fight for your rights!