If you feel like you’re being crippled by fear and uncertainties, read these courage quotes we’ve compiled and gain the confidence to boost yourself up!
Courage is one of the most powerful traits of a strong person. You might think that this value means just being unafraid to face everything. But, in reality, courage is so much more than that.
It is about recognizing your fears and deciding to push through anyway. Though that’s the case, courage cannot be equated to recklessness. When we’re courageous, we understand what we’re facing, know about the consequences, and still decide to move forward fearlessly.
Being courageous is so much more complicated than simply being brave. It’ll be tedious and challenging to hone this value. But, if we do, it’s something that will benefit us in the long run.
So, don’t wait any longer! Start developing your courage through this list of quotes we’ve gathered.
Best Courage Quotes
1. “Courage doesn’t happen when you have all the answers. It happens when you are ready to face the questions you have been avoiding your whole life.” – Shannon L. Alder
2. “Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” – Winston Churchill
3. “Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.” – Brene Brown
4. “Courage is the commitment to begin without any guarantee of success.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
5. “Courage isn’t having the strength to go on—it is going on when you don’t have strength.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
6. “You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.” – Aristotle
7. “Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior.” – Carl von Clausewitz
8. “Courage is the most important of all the virtues because, without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage.” – Maya Angelou
9. “The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage.” – Thucydides
10. “To have the courage for whatever comes in life—everything lies in that.” – Saint Teresa of Avila
Inspirational Courage Quotes
11. “Courage is on display every day, and only the courageous wring the most out of life.” – Zig Ziglar
12. “With courage, you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity.” – Keshavan Nair
13. “Courage conquers all things. It even gives strength to the body.” – Ovid
14. “Courage cannot be left like bones in a bag. It must be brought out and shown the light, again and again, growing stronger each time. If you think it will keep for the times you need it, you are wrong. It is like any other part of your strength. If you ignore it, the bag will be empty when you need it most.” – Conn Iggulden
15. “It takes courage to examine your life and to decide that there are things you would like to change, and it takes even more courage to do something about it.” – Sue Hadfield
16. “True courage is being afraid, and going ahead and doing your job anyhow, that’s what courage is.” – Norman Schwarzkopf
17. “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
18. “In all realms of life, it takes courage to stretch your limits, express your power, and fulfill your potential.” – Suze Orman
19. “Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway.” – John Wayne
20. “Courage is grace under pressure.” – Ernest Hemingway
Short Courage Quotes
21. “Courage is like a muscle. We strengthen it by use.” – Ruth Gordon
22. “Have the courage to act instead of react.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
23. “Fear is a reaction. Courage is a decision.” – Winston Churchill
24. “Courage is knowing what not to fear.” – Plato
25. “One man with courage is a majority.” – Thomas Jefferson
26. “Courage is the ladder on which all the other virtues mount.” – Clare Boothe Luce
27. “Creativity takes courage.” – Henri Matisse
28. “Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.” – George S. Patton
29. “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.” – Anaïs Nin
30. “Courage is risking the known for the unknown, the familiar for the unfamiliar.” – Osho
31. “With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.” – Margaret Mitchell
Also read: Powerful Quotes
Positive Courage Quotes to Help You Overcome Your Fears
32. “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear—not the absence of fear.” – Mark Twain
33. “Courage is never to let your actions be influenced by your fears.” – Arthur Koestler
34. “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid but he who conquers that fear.” – Nelson Mandela
35. “Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
36. “Courage doesn’t mean you don’t get afraid. Courage means you don’t let fear stop you.” – Bethany Hamilton
Courage Quotes That’ll Make You Brave
37. “Courage is not something that you already have that makes you brave when the tough times start. Courage is what you earn when you’ve been through the tough times, and you discover they aren’t so tough after all.” – Malcolm Gladwell
38. “Courage to me is doing something daring, no matter how afraid, insecure, intimidated, alone, unworthy, incapable, ridiculed, or whatever other paralyzing emotion you might feel. Courage is taking action no matter what. So you’re afraid? Be afraid. Be scared silly to the point you’re trembling and nauseous, but do it anyway!” – Richelle E. Goodrich
39. “Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.” – Billy Graham
40. “I beg you take courage; the brave soul can mend even disaster.” – Catherine the Great
41. “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” – Muhammad Ali
Courage Quotes to Live By
42. “You have to accept whatever comes, and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
43. “If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it.” – John Irving
44. “Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
45. “It is courage, courage, courage, that raises the blood of life to crimson splendor. Live bravely and present a brave front to adversity.” – Horace
46. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs
47. “Have the courage to be who you are, not what people expect you to be.” – David Goggins
Meaningful Courage Quotes That’ll Motivate You to Follow Your Heart
48. “It takes courage for a person to listen to his own goodness and act on it.” – Pablo Casals
49. “Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace.” – Amelia Earhart
50. “Courage originally meant to speak one’s mind by telling all one’s heart.” – Brené Brown
51. “Real courage is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. Doing the unpopular thing because it’s what you believe, and the heck with everybody.” – Justin Cronin
52. “God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” – Chester W. Nimitz
53. “Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity.” – W. Clement Stone
54. “There are no easy answers, but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right.” – Ronald Reagan
More Courage Quotes That You Need to Read Today
55. “True courage is not the brutal force of vulgar heroes, but the firm resolve of virtue and reason.” – Alfred North Whitehead
56. “He who loses wealth loses much; he who loses a friend loses more, but he that loses his courage loses all.” – Miguel de Cervantes
57. “Courage is the hallmark of spirituality. Courage comes when you love yourself for who you are.” – Amit Ray
58. “How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.” – Benjamin Franklin
59. “Have the courage to take your own thoughts seriously, for they will shape you.” – Albert Einstein
60. “My message, especially to young people, is to have the courage to think differently, courage to invent, to travel the unexplored path, courage to discover the impossible, and to conquer the problems and succeed. These are great qualities that they must work towards. This is my message to the young people.” – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
Do You Believe That You Have the Courage to Face Your Fears?
There’s no denying that life is scary. The world is filled with so many uncertainties and negative things that sometimes, we’re filled with hesitation and fear. We don’t want to move forward because we don’t know what our actions or decisions will entail, but life will just pass us by if we are like this.
This is why we have to have courage when living life. With its help, we move beyond our fears and face them. Courage, after all, equips us with the strength and confidence we need to deal with life head-on.
So, let’s always remind ourselves that fear will only hold us back. We have to move beyond our comfort zones constantly to enjoy new possibilities and all the beautiful things that life has to offer. Don’t hesitate and believe that you have the ability to conquer whatever curveball you’re thrown.
We hope this list of courage quotes was able to boost your confidence and help you become braver. Life will never be easy, so make sure you are armed with courage every day!
Do you think you’re courageous enough to conquer life? Which quotes were relevant to you? Please, comment below.