If you’re looking for some words that will remind you of your freedom, read this list of liberty quotes to awaken your inner warrior!
Of all the things we fight over in politics, liberty is the most important. It’s something that helps make our lives worth living. Without our freedom, we would simply exist through robotic actions and interactions with others.
Liberty allows us to explore our passions and grow as individuals. Through it, we gain the ability to make choices in our lives, free from shackles and chains.
If our independence is taken away from us, it will result in a series of complicated and chaotic events.
You might not have thought much about this issue.
But, as you read this collection, you will realize how precious our liberty is. You might even feel inspired to take your own stand in defense of freedom!
Continue reading below.
And don’t forget to check out these freedom quotes.
Best Liberty Quotes
1. “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” – George Orwell
2. “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin
3. “Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.” – George Bernard Shaw
4. “Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.” – George Washington
5. “I value liberty above all else. Without liberty, no other value can be realized.” – Graeme Rodaughan
6. “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” – Thomas Jefferson
7. “Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from its subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of resistance.” – Woodrow Wilson
8. “Liberty is not the power of doing what we like, but the right to do what we ought.” – John Dalberg-Acton
9. “True liberty consists exactly in self-determination in the direction of holiness. Man is never more free than when he moves consciously in the direction of God.” – Louis Berkhof
10. “The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their consciences is not only among the choicest of their blessings but also of their rights.” – George Washington
Famous Quotes About Liberty
11. “Order without liberty and liberty without order are equally destructive.” – Theodore Roosevelt
12. “Life without liberty is like a body without spirit.” – Kahlil Gibran
13. “Liberty is the only thing you can’t have unless you give it to others.” – William Allen White
14. “People have only as much liberty as they have the intelligence to want and the courage to take.” – Emma Goldman
15. “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.” – Benjamin Franklin
16. “When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.” – Thomas Jefferson
17. “Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.” – John Adams
18. “Liberty may be endangered by the abuse of liberty, but also by the abuse of power.” – James Madison
19. “Liberty means the ability not to violate the law of God. License means personal insistence on doing what I like.” – Oswald Chambers
Short Liberty Quotes That’ll Impact Your Worldview
20. “Who speaks of liberty while the human mind is in chains?” – Francis Wright
21. “Where liberty is, there is my country.” – Benjamin Franklin
22. “Liberty for wolves is death to the lambs.” – Isaiah Berlin
23. “Liberty: one of imagination’s most precious possessions.” – Ambrose Bierce
24. “Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.” – John Adams
25. “Liberty loses out by default because good people are not vigilant.” – Desmond Tutu
26. “The God who gave us life gave us liberty at the same time.” – Thomas Jefferson
27. “Give me liberty or give me death.” – Patrick Henry
28. “Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country.” – Marquis de Lafayette
29. “Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have.” – Harry Emerson Fosdick
30. “Liberty does not exist in the absence of morality.” – Edmund Burke
31. “Sovereignty of myself over myself is called liberty.” – Victor Hugo
Meaningful Liberty Quotes for People Who Cherish Freedom
32. “Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.” – Learned Hand
33. “God grants liberty only to those who love it and are always ready to guard and defend it.” – Daniel Webster
34. “What light is to the eyes—what air is to the lungs—what love is to the heart, liberty is to the soul of man.” – Robert G. Ingersoll
35. “Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.” – John Milton
36. “The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” – William Hazlitt
37. “The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.” – Thomas Jefferson
38. “Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty; it is a blessing that must be earned before it can be enjoyed.” – Charles Caleb Colton
39. “Liberty cannot exist without individual responsibility. Failure to exercise individual responsibility forfeits your right to self-governance and delivers it to the government which, through force, will set the parameters of your life.” – Brian Wilson
Liberty Quotes to Secure Our Society
40. “Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children were brought up easy; let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.” – D. H. Lawrence
41. “What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.” – Thomas Jefferson
42. “To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms.” – Richard Henry Lee
43. “The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards, and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.” – Samuel Adams
44. “The battle for freedom and liberty really never is over, and there are really low points in it, but I’m not giving up, and I’m not gonna engage in phony pep talks, either.” – Rush Limbaugh
45. “Civil liberty is only natural liberty, modified and secured by the sanctions of civil society.” – Alexander Hamilton
Liberty Quotes That Will Remind You to Live Life Freely
46. “Liberty is the right of every man, to be honest, to think, and to speak without hypocrisy.” – José Martí
47. “The liberties and freedoms which we hold dear and we recognize and cherish and respect guide the way we gather information in the United States.” – John Ashcroft
48. “Liberty and freedom were the primary reasons that people wanted to come here. They wanted to escape bondage, slavery, tyranny, poverty, whatever where they lived. It was America that promised a much better life.” – Rush Limbaugh
49. “I believe in liberty for all men: the space to stretch their arms and their souls, the right to breathe and the right to vote, the freedom to choose their friends, enjoy the sunshine, and ride on the railroads, uncursed by color; thinking, dreaming, working as they will in a kingdom of beauty and love.” – W. E. B. Du Bois
50. “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.” – John F. Kennedy
Insightful Liberty Quotes to Reinforce Your Beliefs
51. “There is no true liberty except the liberty of the happy who cleave to the eternal law.” – Saint Augustine
52. “The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.” – Patrick Henry
53. “Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest political end.” – John Dalberg-Acton
54. “The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.” – John Stuart Mill
Liberty Quotes to Gain Wisdom and Knowledge on Independence
55. “It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.” – Vladimir Ilʹich Lenin
56. “We all declare for liberty, but in using the same word, we do not all mean the same thing.” – Abraham Lincoln
57. “The problem with this world is that there isn’t enough liberty and freedom.” – Rush Limbaugh
58. “Absolute liberty is the absence of restraint; responsibility is restraint; therefore, the ideally free individual is responsible to himself.” – Henry Adams
59. “A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order will lose both and deserve neither.” – Thomas Jefferson
60. “It is not the fact of liberty but the way in which liberty is exercised that ultimately determines whether liberty itself survives.” – Dorothy Thompson
61. “Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.” – Henry David Thoreau
62. “It is easy to take liberty for granted when you have never had it taken from you.” – Dick Cheney
63. “To be safe at the expense of the liberty of other people is a difficult equation.” – Madeleine Albright
Deep Liberty Quotes to Think About
64. “For though the flame of liberty may sometimes cease to shine, the coal can never expire.” – Thomas Paine
65. “When liberty comes with hands dabbled in the blood, it is hard to shake hands with her.” – Oscar Wilde
66. “The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance.” – Wendell Phillips
67. “The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.” – Louis Brandeis
68. “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom—go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” – Samuel Adams
Poetic Liberty Quotes That Will Move You
69. “He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy against oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.” – Thomas Paine
70. “Liberty without learning is always in peril, and learning without liberty is always in vain.” – John F. Kennedy
71. “Enslave the liberty of, but one human being and the liberties of the world are put in peril.” – William Lloyd Garrison
Liberty Quotes That Will Help You Fight Back Against Tyranny
72. “Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel the invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers.” – Louis Brandeis
73. “Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add within the limits of the law because the law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” – Thomas Jefferson
74. “The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule.” – Samuel Adams
Liberty Quotes That Everyone Must Read
75. “The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedience, and by parts.” – Edmund Burke
76. “It is a universal truth that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged to the provisions against danger, real or pretended, from abroad.” – James Madison
77. “Liberty, which means resisting all forms of cultural authoritarianism, be it from the right-wing church, Black ideologues, Black nationalists, or mainstream White media. We have to accent liberty and freedom of expression and thought in all their forms.” – Cornel West
More Liberty Quotes to Know More About One’s Religious Rights
78. “The notion of religious liberty is that you cannot be forced to participate in a religious ceremony that’s not of your choosing simply because you’re outvoted.” – Ira Glasser
79. “Religious liberty is the salt and light that has made us the great nation we are in a whole number of ways.” – Eric Metaxas
80. “I think we recognize as Americans there are certain things that are just primary to the freedoms and liberties that we enjoy here, and religious freedom is one of the most important things we as Americans cherish.” – Ann Romney
How Far Are You Willing to Go to Defend Your Liberty?
Many people believe that liberty is a right and a basic human necessity. Though the concept of liberty has evolved and changed throughout time, its essence remains integral to our society.
Throughout history, people have been fighting for liberty. It’s been a long journey, but the good thing is that there are now laws that protect human rights. However, there is still plenty of work to be done to achieve true freedom across the globe; the fight is not over yet!
One way to protect our liberty is to be informed and involved in our country. This includes voting and being aware of what is going on with current events.
Another way is to learn how to protect, secure, and be grateful for the freedom we have now. We must ensure that the next generations can enjoy the same rights we have today, and the only way to do that is to uphold and honor our current independence. In other words, we need to make sure that the rights that allow us to live freely are maintained for future generations.
By protecting our liberty, we protect ourselves from the many threats in the world. To this end, we hope this list of liberty quotes was able to make you recognize the importance of freedom. Remember to exercise your rights with grace and respect in all situations!