This list of mental toughness quotes will help you handle and conquer your fears, doubts, and obstacles!
Mental toughness is the ability to remain motivated in the face of failure.
You can push through setbacks and stay focused on your goals when you’re mentally tough. Aside from that, it makes you keep moving forward to reach success amidst the hardships in your life.
To be mentally tough, you must understand yourself and your mind completely. You must know what makes you tick and use everything to your advantage.
It is also important to note that mental toughness isn’t just an attitude; you must be willing to put in the work and effort required to achieve your goals.
So, to reach your full potential and have a strong mentality, read our collection below!
Be ready to transform into a stronger individual—inside and out—with each line!
Continue reading below!
Best Mental Toughness Quotes
1. “Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – Christopher Robin
2. “In terms of instilling the values of mental toughness and work ethic, discipline is the gift that keeps on giving.” – William Baldwin
3. “Mental toughness is finding fuel on an empty tank.” – Kent Morris
4. “Concentration and mental toughness are the margins of victory.” – Bill Russell
5. “Mental toughness is essential to success.” – Vince Lombardi
6. “Put character and mental toughness before execution, and you will get consistent execution.” – William James Moore
7. “Mental toughness: the ability to consistently perform toward the upper range of your talent and skill regardless of the competitive circumstances.” – James E. Loehr
8. “It’s mental toughness that determines what you’ll do on the third, fourth, and fifth tries.” – The Strive
9. “Mental toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it’s not the best thing for you.” – Bill Belichick
10. “You’ve got to develop mental strength. And you develop mental strength with the will. The will is the mental faculty that gives you the ability to hold one idea under the screen of your mind to the exclusion of all outside distractions.” – Anonymous
Famous Quotes About Mental Toughness
11. “Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one.” – Bobby Knight
12. “Mental toughness is a state of mind—you could call it ‘character in action.’” – Vince Lombardi
13. “Mental toughness is Spartanism, with all its qualities of self-denial, sacrifice, dedication, fearlessness, and love.” – Vince Lombardi
14. “There’s a confidence and a mental toughness that comes from the very highest level of competition, whatever the sport is. Whether it’s boxing or wrestling, or whatever.” – Joe Rogan
15. “Real mental toughness is about being conscious of your behavior patterns, and from this knowledge, you are able to turn your life around.” – Tara Estacaan
16. “Mental toughness is a lifestyle. It’s something that you live every single day of your life.” – David Goggins
17. “Mental toughness is the willingness to keep commitments you make to yourself.” – Anonymous
18. “Mental toughness doesn’t guarantee you’ll win, but playing without it pretty much guarantees you won’t.” – Tim Grover
Mental Toughness Quotes to Help You Overcome Adversity
19. “We talk about mental toughness all the time. That’s the biggest thing good teams have, that they can overcome adversity.” – Bryan Murray
20. “Mental toughness is the ability to focus on and execute solutions, especially in the face of adversity.” – Jason Selk
21. “I’ve obviously learned a lot, a lot of mental toughness, learned how to deal with some adversity.” – Gerrit Cole
22. “You show me, anybody that’s great in anything they do, I’ll show you, somebody that’s persevered, demonstrated that mental toughness to overcome some obstacles and adversity.” – Sean McVay
Positive Mental Toughness Quotes to Strengthen Your Mindset
23. “Mental toughness is many things. It is humility because it behooves all of us to remember that simplicity is the sign of greatness and meekness is the sign of true strength.” – Vince Lombardi
24. “We love being mentally strong, but we hate situations that allow us to put our mental strength to good use.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
25. “Build mental toughness. The human brain is like a muscle. You can build strength, but you need weights to lift. The challenges you face in life are those weights.” – Anonymous
26. “You have to want it, you have to plan for it, you have to fit it into a busy day, you have to be mentally tough, you have to use others to help you. The hard part isn’t getting your body in shape. The hard part is getting your mind in shape.” – Amby Burfoot
27. “Mental strength is what separates champions from near champions.” – Rafael
28. “Strong minds suffer without complaining; weak minds complain without suffering.” – Lettie Cowman
Mental Toughness Quotes for Those Who Refuse to Give Up
29. “The ability to continue moving when you are feeling scared, fearful, or lazy is the sign of true mental strength.” – Matthew Donnelly
30. “Pushing for a third wind, when you know you only have two, that is mental toughness.” – Nate Lee Morales
31. “Mental toughness is many things and rather difficult to explain. Its qualities are sacrifice and self-denial. Also, most importantly, it is combined with a perfectly disciplined will that refuses to give in.” – Vince Lombardi
32. “This mental toughness will transfer into your everyday life, giving you drive and a clear, concise attitude, where giving up is not an option.” – Daniel Hudson
Short Mental Toughness Quotes to Influence Your Thoughts
33. “If you’re mentally tough, the world is your oyster.” – Anonymous
34. “Mental strength induces mind and body.” – Toba Beta
35. “Physical stamina is the root of mental toughness.” – Major Dick Winters
36. “The most important attribute a player must have is mental toughness.” – Mia Hamm
37. “It’s about mental toughness. Mental toughness is everything.” – Jon Gordon
Mental Toughness Quotes That Will Develop Your Skills
38. “Developing mental toughness isn’t just about being resilient—it’s about accessing your reserve tank when you think you just can’t go any further.” – Richard Branson
39. “Mental toughness must be developed before you start fighting because you don’t want to be that guy who quits in the ring.” – Forrest Griffin
40. “People are not born mentally tough. Mental toughness is developed by experience. Developing mental toughness is a very long process.” – C.N. Reede
Mental Toughness Quotes That Will Always Be Relevant
41. “If you want to be tougher mentally, it is simple; be tougher, don’t meditate on it.” – Jocko Willink
42. “I wish I could say someone taught me my mental toughness; it would have been a lot less painful.” – Kurt Warner
43. “I think it’s becoming cool to have mental toughness or to meditate. It’s a thing, but I don’t think people really understand the value of it.” – Jaylen Brown
44. “I found that to build mental toughness, you need to inconvenience yourself. The early morning runs if you hate early mornings. The late-night runs if you hate late nights. The snowy cold, the worst conditions you can get, put yourself in those and really make it inconvenient, and you start to get a genuine expectation of winning for the price you have to pay.” – Chael Sonnen
More Mental Toughness Quotes for Sports and Athletes
45. “Every quarterback can throw a ball; every running back can run; every receiver is fast, but that mental toughness that you talk about translates into competitiveness.” – Tom Brady
46. “Legs and athleticism are worth nothing without mental toughness. You also need to be stubborn.” – Gonzalo Higuain
47. “To me, football is so much about mental toughness, it’s digging deep, it’s doing whatever you need to do to help a team win, and that comes in a lot of shapes and forms.” – Tom Brady
48. “Tennis is all about mental toughness, and you have to keep your head in the game. I make time to relax away from competition pressures, travel, and intense training schedules to make sure I’m looking after myself. Taking time out with family and friends helps to maintain the work-life balance everyone needs.” – Samantha Stosur
49. “Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don’t so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head.” – Joe Henderson
50. “Mental toughness is doing whatever is necessary to get the job done, including handling the demands of a tough workout, withstanding pain, or touching an opponent out at the end of a race.” – Jennifer Everest
Did This Collection Make You Learn the Value of Being Mentally Tough?
Mental toughness is having a positive state of mind that will allow you to focus on tasks at hand—no matter your current difficulty. When you are mentally strong, you can deal with various challenging situations that some can’t even fathom.
In the face of adversity, mental toughness can help you survive. Mentally strong people have an easier time dealing with stress because they tend to focus on the positive things in life. In fact, one of the pros of having mental toughness is the ability to zoom in on the good versus dwelling on the bad.
No matter your age, it’s never too late to cultivate a strong mental capacity. So, even though the start will be challenging, just continue working on yourself. With the continuous stream of experiences you encounter, your mind will slowly get stronger, too!
With that, we hope this list of mental toughness quotes was able to give you hints on how to cope with the variety of circumstances in your life. Remember, things will be difficult. But, with every challenge you conquer, the easier life will get in the future!