Let these sad anime quotes help you get in touch with your emotions and encourage you to cry your heart out.
From childhood to being grown-ups, we have always used deep and relatable anime series to cope with our stressful lives. Watching anime teaches us many lessons that inspire and motivate us to make the right decisions. Moreover, it also serves as our mirror to the reality that will help us grow.
Our collection has the most emotional and unforgettable lines from the saddest anime series.
Grab your tissues and read these quotes that will move you and touch your heart.
Let’s get started.
Best Sad Anime Quotes
1. “Living is anxiety and pain. It’s continuing to think, continuing to choose.” – Alcor
2. “The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they don’t wish to see anyone else suffer the way they did.” – Jellal Fernandes
3. “That’s right. This world is cruel. It hit me that living was like a miracle.” – Mikasa Ackerman
4. “It is impossible to not hurt someone. Humans unconsciously hurt others by simply existing. Whether you are alive or dead, you keep hurting people. Getting involved will hurt them, but trying not to get involved might hurt them too. But if it’s someone you don’t care about, you won’t notice you’ve hurt them. What’s important is your awareness of it. It’s because you care about them that you feel like you’ve hurt them. Caring about someone means being resolved to the fact that you’ll hurt them. The more people care for each other, the farther out of reach certain things get. But that’s not something to be sad about. I think it’s probably something to be proud of.” – Shizuka Hiratsuka
5. “Maybe if I was to kill the most important people in your life, everyone who’s ever meant anything, maybe, then I’d listen to you because maybe then you’ll have some idea how I feel!” – Sasuke Uchiha
6. “When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom? No! It’s when they are forgotten.” – Dr. Hiriluk
7. “Humans die. Animals die. Plants die. Even soul reapers die. It’s the arch of the universe. Everything that comes to life eventually ceases to exist.” – Baraggan Louisenbairn
8. “Was I able to live inside someone’s heart? Was I able to live inside your heart? Do you think you’ll remember me at least a little? You’d better not hit ‘reset!’ Don’t forget me, okay? That’s a promise, okay? I’m glad it’s you, after all. Will I reach you? I hope I can reach you.” – Kaori Miyazono
9. “Remember what you said before? A normal person with a gun will wind up doing something he never thought himself capable of? No one in this world can truly hold himself separate from violence. Guns are literally within reach of anyone. Sadly, that’s where we put our faith, in bullets rather than human kindness.” – Koko Hekmatyar
10. “To know sorrow is not terrifying. What is terrifying is to know you can’t go back to the happiness you could have.” – Matsumoto Rangiku
11. “How can you move forward when you keep regretting the past?” – Edward Elric
12. “The scariest thing about killing people is getting used to it! When you kill someone and realize you won’t be punished, that’s when people forget all about punishment.” – Rentaro Satomi
13. “Reality is cruel, so I’m sure lies are a form of kindness. Thus, I say kindness itself is also a lie. I always ended up with these expectations, and I always ended up with these misunderstandings. Before I knew it, I stopped hoping. A highly-trained loner is once bitten, twice shy. As a veteran on this battlefield of life, I’ve gotten used to losing. That’s why I will always hate nice girls.” – Hachiman Hikigaya
14. “All this time, I seriously thought that it’s better to die than to live your life alone.” – Kirito
15. “Sadness, happiness, everything. Death gently strips them away.” – Banana Fish
Sad Anime Quotes About Life
16. “Having happy and beautiful memories won’t always bring you salvation. The more beautiful a memory is, the more painful it can become.” – Isla
17. “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something.” – Lucy Heartfilia
18. “No matter how hurt someone is, they’re meant to overcome it and try to go forward.” – Mirajane Strauss
19. “When you are feeling sad, smile, even if you have to force yourself. If you cry when it gets painful, it will only get more painful.” – Chie
20. “People’s lives don’t end when they die. It ends when they lose faith.” – Itachi Uchiha
21. “I don’t care if no one likes me. I wasn’t created in this world to entertain everyone.” – Houtarou Oreki
22. “Never trust anyone too much, remember, the devil was once an angel.” – Ken Kaneki
23. “Whatever you lose, you’ll find it again. But what you throw away, you’ll never get back.” – Kenshin Himura
24. “No matter how many good deeds you perform, your past sins cannot be erased.” – Sheele
25. “The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.” – Hei
Also read: Funny Anime Quotes
Deep Sad Anime Quotes
26. “Forgetting is like a wound. The wound may heal, but it has already left a scar.” – Monkey D. Luffy
27. “I always, always wondered, I was born to die, so what was my reason for existing in this world?” – Yuuki Konno
28. “Just because someone is important to you, it doesn’t necessarily mean that that person is good. Even if you knew that person was evil. People cannot win against their loneliness.” – Gaara
29. “It’s just like changes in the notes and passports. You may find it hard to adjust to at the beginning, but you get used to it eventually. Time is very depressing, after all. Both happiness and sadness fade away with time.” – Detective Conan
30. “The two of us aren’t so different. My whole life, I’ve desired from others. I felt bitter to the people around me, and I closed off my heart, and a heart that lets nothing in will become empty before you realize it.” – Mei Aihara
31. “I’d rather have my physical pain exceed my mental pain than the other way around. By hurting myself just enough, I could turn my attention to that.” – Tomori Kusunoki
32. “I’m such a hopeless idiot all this time, and I haven’t grown up one bit. I thought maybe the rain would wash away some of this gloom that’s been following me, but right now, every drop that hits my face is even more depressing.” – Edward Elric
33. “Why should I apologize for being a monster? Has anyone ever apologized for turning me into one?” – Juuzou Suzuya
34. “We are neither beasts nor slaves! We are human!” – Squealer
35. “Is it painful to be the person who waits? Or is it more painful to be the person who makes others wait? Either way, there’s no need to wait anymore. That’s what is most painful.” – Osamu Dazai
Sad Anime Quotes About Love
36. “Love is like a mirror that reflects your wrong side. Especially when it is unrequited, you get envious, jealous, prejudiced, and resentful. You have to face all sorts of emotions, but there is no reason to find that shameful.” – Margery Daw
37. “Cry when you’re sad. Laugh when you’re happy. Get angry when you don’t like something. Depend on someone when you’re depressed. Care for yourself before you care for others. Don’t hate anyone. Be proud of yourself. Stay loyal when you fall in love.” – Maria Otonashi
38. “Sometimes, I wonder why people fall in love. Why do we abandon ourselves to these painful and burdensome feelings?” – Yukari Nejima
39. “You’ll only realize that you truly love someone if they already caused you enormous pain. Your enemies can never hurt you the way your loved ones can. It’s the people close to your heart that can give you the most piercing wound. Love is a double-edged sword. It can heal the wound faster, or it can sink the blade even deeper.” – Kenshin Himura
40. “Because of the existence of love, sacrifice is born. As well as hate. Then one comprehends, one knows pain.” – Pain
Depression Anime Quotes
41. “If you don’t like how things turned out, then try to change it. And then if it still doesn’t work out, that’s when you can be depressed.” – Nanana Ryuugajou
42. “I always believed that everyone in this world was far nicer and smarter than me. That no matter how unlikeable they seemed to be, they still had a good conscience and had justifiable circumstances for acting the way they did. That’s why I hated myself for being so timid and depressed when I didn’t even have any good reason for doing so, but now, I see that there actually are people who’re despicable in every way and don’t blink twice at ruining another’s life.” – Punpun Onodera
43. “I hate humans. I find the thought that I’m from the same species to be depressing.” – Koko Hekmatyar
Sad Anime Quotes on Death
44. “Death isn’t kind. It’s dark and black, and as far as you can see, you’re all alone. There’s no one else.” – Mei Misaki
45. “I think death is equally terrible for everyone. Young people, old people, the good, the bad, it’s always the same. It’s rather fair in its treatment. There’s no such thing as a particularly terrible death. That’s why it’s frightening.” – Sunako Kirishiki
46. “Everyone dies eventually, whether they have power or not. That’s why you need to think about what you’ll accomplish while you’re alive.” – Mary Macbeth
47. “There’s nothing special about being born, not a thing. Most of the universe is just death. Nothing more. In this universe of ours, the birth of a new life on some corner of our planet is nothing but a tiny, insignificant flash. Death is a normal thing, so why live?” – Johan Liebert
Sad Anime Quotes About Loneliness
48. “Loneliness is a sickness that leads to death.” – Holo
49. “Loneliness is peaceful, but there’ll be no one to share happiness with.” – Ayumu Aikawa
50. “One ought to experience loneliness at least once or twice in life. No, you have to experience it. The idea of being chained to another person without reprieve is far more abnormal and disquieting. One has no choice but to learn about loneliness. I’m sure some things can’t be experienced without it.” – Hachiman Hikigaya
51. “You are extremely afraid of any kind of initial contact, aren’t you? Are you that afraid of other people? I know that by keeping others at a distance, you avoid a betrayal of your trust. For a while, you may not be hurt that way. You mustn’t forget that you must endure the loneliness. Man cannot erase this sadness, because all men are fundamentally alone.” – Kaworu Nagisa
Emotional and Sad Anime Quotes
52. “It’s painful when you get disappointed by the person you look up to.” – Misaki Ayuzawa
53. “I’ll never resent you, or hate you, or hurt you. Not ever. Not you or anyone. I’d rather die. So If I’m killed, I’ll face my killer with a smile, and I’ll tell them that it’s okay because it won’t be their fault for doing it. It’ll just be that they don’t know any better. I’ll die hopeful, that my death might have helped them to understand someday.” – Photo
54. “No matter how many relationships we seem to have, we are all alone.” – Mei Misaki
55. “The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and the future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.” – Hachiman Hikigaya
56. “The thing I wished for destroyed my whole family. I brought all this suffering down on my family because I made a wish for my dad without knowing what he really wanted.” – Kyoko Sakura
57. “I bet dead people are easier to get along with.” – Crona
58. “A dream is worth less than nothing if you don’t have someone else to share it with.” – Dousan Saitou
59. “It’s impossible to work hard for something you don’t enjoy.” – Keiko Ayano
60. “When I think about the town without me, I feel a sense of relief. I want to go far, far away.” – Kayo Hinazuki
Did These Sad Anime Quotes Make You Ponder About Life?
Anime is not just for kids’ entertainment. Even adults can learn a lot from the broad topics they discuss, such as existence, purpose, goals, and love. By watching anime, we are assisted on our road toward maturity.
Furthermore, consuming these media types helps us be in touch with what we feel about ourselves and other people. Watching our favorite characters show grief, sadness, and despair can teach us to put ourselves into someone else’s shoes and empathize with them.
We hope that these sad anime quotes were able to help you realize some things about life. Remember, being emotional is not a weakness but a strength that shows that we are human.
Which sad anime quote is your favorite? Do you have more quotes to add? Do not forget to leave a comment below!