When the noise of the world around you gets overwhelming, read through these silence quotes that will keep you in your zone.
Noise is present everywhere. People talking and laughing, animals purring and barking, music playing, and the leaves rustling can all be considered noise if they become too much. When this happens, it can get tricky for us to focus on things that matter.
This is why having the time to pause and reflect in silence can help us reevaluate our priorities and plans in life.
More than this, silence, in itself, is taken as a basic form of response. You might even be familiar with the sayings, “Silence means yes,” or “Silence speaks louder than words.”
Indeed, silence holds so much power in our lives—both as a form of respite and communication.
If you want to know more about it and how it can affect you, read through to the end of this collection.
Best Silence Quotes
1. “Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom.” – Francis Bacon
2. “Silence isn’t empty. It’s full of answers.” – Anonymous
3. “Silence is sometimes the best answer.” – Dalai Lama
4. “Your silence will not protect you.” – Audre Lorde
5. “Silence is of different kinds and breathes different meanings.” – Charlotte Brontë
6. “Silence is golden when you can’t think of a good answer.” – Muhammad Ali
7. “Silence is one of the great arts of conversation.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
8. “I decided it is better to scream. Silence is the real crime against humanity.” – Nadezhda Mandelstam
Famous Silence Quotes
9. “Silence is a source of great strength.” – Lao Tzu
10. “When truth is replaced by silence, the silence is a lie.” – Yevgeny Yevtushenko
11. “Silence is a gift. Learn to value its essence.” – Anonymous
12. “Listen to silence. It has so much to say.” – Rumi
13. “Silence remains, inescapably, a form of speech.” – Susan Sontag
14. “Be silent and safe—silence never betrays you.” – John Boyle O’Reilly
Silence Quotes to Make You Reflect
15. “Silence is the language of God; it is also the language of the heart.” – Sivananda
16. “Through the portals of silence, the healing sun of wisdom and peace will shine upon you.” – Paramahansa Yogananda
17. “Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence.” – Leonardo da Vinci
18. “Silence is more eloquent than words.” – Thomas Carlyle
19. “Within each of us, there is silence—a silence as vast as the universe. And when we experience that silence, we remember who we are.” – Gunilla Norris
Silence Quotes That Show Its Value in Life
20. “Don’t waste words on people who deserve your silence. Sometimes the most powerful thing you can say is nothing at all.” – Mandy Hale
21. “Life’s deepest feelings are often expressed in silence.” – Anonymous
22. “I’ve begun to realize that you can listen to silence and learn from it. It has a quality and a dimension all its own.” – Chaim Potok
23. “Let silence take you to the core of life.” – Rumi
24. “Silence is the great teacher, and to learn its lessons, you must pay attention to it. There is no substitute for the creative inspiration, knowledge, and stability that come from knowing how to contact your core of inner silence.” – Deepak Chopra
Also read: Inner Peace Quotes
Bite-Sized Silence Quotes to Ponder On
25. “Speech is silver, silence is golden.” – Thomas Carlyle
26. “Sound is our mind, silence is our being.” – Osho
27. “Silence is the best response to a fool.” – Anonymous
28. “Silence is true wisdom’s best reply.” – Euripides
29. “Silence speaks when words can’t.” – Anonymous
30. “Silence is a true friend who never betrays.” – Confucius
Silence Quotes for Those Curious About Its Power
31. “When you build in silence, they don’t know what to attack.” – Anonymous
32. “The more you understand silence, that’s where the balance comes.” – Rick Rubin
33. “Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute.” – Josh Billings
34. “Silence is the ultimate weapon of power.” – Charles de Gaulle
35. “In the sweet territory of silence, we touch the mystery. It’s the place of reflection and contemplation, and it’s the place where we can connect with the deep knowing, to the deep wisdom way.” – Angeles Arrien
Silence Quotes That Highlight the Importance of Peace and Quiet
36. “The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace.” – Proverb
37. “Sometimes it’s best to stay quiet. The silence can speak volumes without ever saying a word.” – Anonymous
38. “Noise creates illusions. Silence brings truth.” – Maxime Lagacé
39. “Silence is an empty space, space is the home of the awakened mind.” – Buddha
40. “Silence can often be more disturbing than noise, it reveals the complicated mechanism of our thoughts.” – José Rodrigues Miguéis
41. “Silence is the shaft we descend to the depths of contemplation. Silence is the vehicle that takes us to the innermost centre of our being which is the place for all authentic practice.” – Elaine MacInnes
Wise Silence Quotes for Your Curious Mind
42. “Open your mouth only if what you are going to say is more beautiful than the silence.” – Spanish Proverb
43. “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” – Elbert Hubbard
44. “A fool is known by his speech, and a wise man by silence.” – Pythagoras
45. “The silence is there within us. What we have to do is to enter into it, to become silent, to become the silence. The purpose of meditation and the challenge of meditation is to allow ourselves to become silent enough to allow this interior silence to emerge. Silence is the language of the spirit.” – John Mains
46. “The young, brash, and impatient must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox.” – Nicholas Sparks
More Silence Quotes to Enjoy
47. “Choose silence of all virtues, for by it you hear other men’s imperfections, and conceal your own.” – George Bernard Shaw
48. “Silence is the cornerstone of character.” – Ohhiyesa
49. “Silence is a profound melody, for those who can hear it above all the noise.” – Socrates
50. “Silence is interesting. It can show confusion, indifference, and sadness. But it can also show determination, confidence, and caring.” – Maxime Lagacé
Are You Someone Who Prefers Silence Over Noise?
Some people thrive in busy and noisy environments. If you’re this type of person, you probably crave constant upbeat energy because you feel like it will also translate into your own. But, for others, silence is a much better option.
Silence brings us to our ground zero. It makes us think about what we really want to focus on and what we need to do to be closer to our goals. At the same time, silence speaks volumes about our personalities and characteristics.
By creating a space filled with silence, we can alleviate our stressors in life. It brings us to a headspace overflowing with peace, quiet, and tranquility. It is then through this headspace that we can reflect on ourselves and inspect which parts need improvement.
Silence is indeed an essential but complex part of life. Although that may be the case, we hope these silence quotes were able to give you a glimpse into its importance in our lives. Carry on, and don’t be afraid of the quiet as it will bring you calmness and peace!