If you feel lost and out of place, read this list of soul quotes to remind yourself who you are and where you belong.
The word “soul” comes from many different origins, but one of the most notable is its etymology based on Hinduism.
According to this religion and philosophy, our souls are equated to “breath” or “life.” And, although different in beliefs, Hinduism and Greek mythology both equate souls to immortality and one’s eternal self.
Many people still believe in the immortality of one’s soul. Though that’s the primary foundation of our beliefs, our understanding of the soul has evolved.
In our world today, we believe that souls are more than our eternal counterparts; they shape who we are and how we act.
Our souls make us connect with others.
We gain a deeper understanding of how their hearts and minds work instead of just seeing their outer appearances. This is because our inner beings—our souls—have a deeper form of communication.
To learn more about yourself, read this list of soul quotes we’ve prepared.
Read through to the end and be ready to go on a journey toward self-discovery and self-love!
Let’s get started.
Best Soul Quotes
1. “The free soul is rare, but you know it when you see it, basically because you feel good, very good when you are near or with them.” – Charles Bukowski
2. “The living soul of man, once conscious of its power, cannot be quelled.” – Horace Mann
3. “A deep soul is aware of eternity, not just the present moment.” – Anonymous
4. “A beautiful soul has no other merit than its own existence.” – Friedrich Schiller
5. “The soul is placed in the body like a rough diamond and must be polished, or the luster of it will never appear.” – Daniel Defoe
6. “The soul achieves in its human embodiment can only be, then, this true freedom to exercise its will that distinguishes man from all other aspects and levels of creation.” – Leonora Leet
7. “Sometimes the most evolved souls take the most challenging paths.” – Brian Weiss
8. “Beautiful things should belong to beautiful souls.” – Muriel Barbery
9. “My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.” – Rumi
10. “The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind.” – Caroline Muss
Inspirational Quotes About a Beautiful Soul
11. “If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies, how different our ideals of beauty would be.” – Lauren Jauregui
12. “A beautiful soul always dwells in a beautiful world.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
13. “When a beautiful soul harmonizes with a beautiful form, and the two are cast in one mold, that will be the fairest of sights to him who has the eye to contemplate the vision.” – Plato
14. “Wherever a beautiful soul has been, there is a trail of beautiful memories.” – Ronald Reagan
15. “You are a beautiful soul hidden by the trench coat of the ego.” – Michael Dolan
16. “The beautiful souls are they that are universal, open, and ready for all things.” – Michel de Montaigne
17. “Beautiful thoughts build a beautiful soul. There’s always something beautiful to be experienced wherever you are.” – Wayne Dyer
18. “The beautiful souls of the world have an art of saintly alchemy, by which bitterness is converted into kindness, the gall of human experience into gentleness, ingratitude into benefits, insults into pardon.” – Henri Frederic Amiel
Deep Soul Quotes
19. “Rummaging in our souls, we often dig up something that ought to have lain there unnoticed. ” – Leo Tolstoy
20. “The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter, often an unconscious but still a faithful interpreter in the eye.” – Charlotte Bronte
21. “Whatever satisfies the soul is truth.” – Walt Whitman
22. “The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.” – Marcus Aurelius
23. “You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” – C.S. Lewis
24. “The soul is an infinite ocean of just beautiful energy, and presence made manifest in human form.” – Panache Desai
25. “Those doing soul work, who want the searing truth more than solace or applause know each other right away.” – Rumi
26. “Your soul knows when it is time to close a chapter.” – Anonymous
27. “The finest souls are those who gulped pain and avoided making others taste it.” – Anonymous
28. “The eyes are the mirror of the soul and reflect everything that seems to be hidden; and like a mirror, they also reflect the person looking into them.” – Paulo Coelho
29. “The soul, like the body, lives by what it feeds on.” – Josiah Gilbert Holland
30. “The soul has a secret entry into the divine nature when all things become nothing to it.” – Meister Eckhart
Soul Quotes to Know More About Yourself
31. “Follow your soul. It knows the way.” – Anonymous
32. “Awaken to your soul within you.” – Mary Anderson
33. “The soul is the truth of who we are.” – Marianne Williamson
34. “The soul has been given its own ears to hear things that the mind does not understand.” – Rumi
35. “It is important to learn to trust our soul when it comes to its choices.” – Annemarie Postma
36. “If you are losing your leisure, look out; you may be losing your soul.” – Logan Pearsall Smith
37. “I believe that each soul has a plan, a pathway, and direction that it has come here to experience in this lifetime.” – Julie Kay
38. “So the unwanting soul sees what’s hidden, and the ever wanting soul sees only what it wants.” – Lao Tzu
39. “Let my soul smile through my heart and my heart smile through my eyes, that I may scatter rich smiles in sad hearts.” – Paramahansa Yogananda
Old Soul Quotes to Ponder On
40. “I think a soul is a soul. I don’t see the new soul as any different to an old soul.” – Paloma Faith
41. “She’s an old soul with young eyes, a vintage heart, and a beautiful mind.” – Nicole Lyons
42. “The soul is born old but grows young. That is the comedy of life.” – Oscar Wilde
43. “The old soul is more inclined to be a lifelong learner, constantly feeding his thirst for insight through his own persistent efforts.” – Aletheia Luna
Soul Quotes That Will Bring You Good Vibes
44. “Whatever’s good for your soul, do that.” – Anonymous
45. “Take time to do what makes your soul happy.” – Anonymous
46. “The just soul is the happy soul.” – Nickolas Pappas
47. “A happy soul is the best shield for a cruel world.” – Atticus
48. “When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.” – Rumi
Soul Quotes That’ll Remind You to Prioritize Your Inner Self
49. “Let your soul shine as bright as the sun.” – Anonymous
50. “What keeps life fascinating is the constant creativity of the soul.” – Deepak Chopra
51. “The soul exists partly in eternity and partly in time.” – Marsilio Ficino
52. “The greatest of wealth is the richness of the soul.” – Prophet Muhammad
53. “In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” – Oscar Wilde
54. “Every single human soul has more meaning and value than the whole of history.” – Nikolai Berdyaev
Soul Quotes to Uplift Your Spirit
55. “Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul.” – Oscar Wilde
56. “If the wounded soul is to heal, it needs a safe place and a safe person. A safe person listens without judging or giving advice. Silence and acceptance grow safety between people.” – Stephen W. Smith
57. “Your soul is oftentimes a battlefield, upon your reason and your judgment wage war against your passion and your appetite.” – Khalil Gibran
58. “The soul is life! The mind controls everything without the functioning of the brain, we are human vegetables, and the soul is dead.” – Orva Medina
Meaningful Soul Quotes for Your Inquisitive Mind
59. “Beauty attracts heart, but character attracts soul.” – Sindhu Vishnu
60. “Beauty is the purest feeling of the soul. Beauty arises when the soul is satisfied.” – Amit Ray
61. “It is only when one sees oneself via one’s soul that one experiences beauty.” – Leanna Burns
62. “The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Soul Quotes That Will Make You Feel Loved
63. “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” – Nicholas Sparks
64. “It will always be difficult for an old soul to satisfy the expectations of the new culture; because as an old soul, you will always prefer to fall in love with everything that has a soul too.” – Samiha Totanji
65. “If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.” – James Herriot
More Soul Quotes That You Must Read Today
66. “The soul selects her own society.” – Emily Dickinson
67. “One can lose one’s soul in a variety of ways.” – Richard K. Fenn
68. “I’m not a body with a soul. I’m a soul that has a visible part called the body.” – Paulo Coelho
69. “A gentle and a sweet, innocent soul can come from any place, any background. It is the nature of the soul, and it cannot really change on the inside.” – C. JoyBell C.
70. “To sell your soul is the easiest thing in the world. That’s what everybody does every hour of his life. If I asked you to keep your soul, would you understand why that’s much harder?” – Ayn Rand
Did This List Help You Understand What It Means to Know Your Inner Self?
Our souls are limitless and eternal. More than being our inner beings, they help cultivate who we are and help us reach our utmost potential. Souls are our moral compasses, and living with the knowledge that our souls exist helps us learn and develop into better humans.
When we feel out of place, our souls pull us back in and hold us together. When we feel alone, our souls reach out to other souls and build connections with them. When we feel lost and don’t know what to do, our souls remind us of our value and the beauty that lies within ourselves.
Being in tune with our souls is such an essential and life-changing thing. That’s why we should always work to know ourselves on a deeper level. We must look beyond and find beautiful things we’ve yet to discover.
By doing so, we will gain extreme knowledge that will change the way we view and act in life. Our souls make us human, and the more we show how beautiful our souls are, the more we become free and happy in life. So, always reflect on yourself; there’s nothing better than knowing who you are inside and out!