Allow these What Dreams May Come quotes to help you overcome grief and give you a better understanding of what comes after our life in this world.
What Dreams May Come is a remarkable story about the power of love between two soulmates who cannot be separated even after death. When Chris Nielsen dies in a car accident, he crosses the boundary between Heaven and Hell to find and restore his wife’s soul, who committed suicide.
This is just one of the many movies inspired by Shakespeare’s works. It is also jam-packed with wisdom that will open your eyes to new perspectives on love, life, second chances, and more!
We’re optimistic that this collection will help people overcome their fear of death. Make sure to read through to the end to gain powerful insights from the movie’s characters and the author of the book himself!
Best What Dreams May Come Quotes
1. “Time’s not on my watch anymore. Time does not exist here. And wherever it went, it’s not going to make me need Annie any less.” – Chris Nielsen
2. “Soulmates. It’s extremely rare, but it exists. Sort of like twin souls tuning into each other. Apparently even in death.” – Albert Lewis
3. “What’s true in our minds is true, whether some people know it or not.” – Chris Nielsen
4. “Good people end up in Hell because they can’t forgive themselves.” – Chris Nielsen
5. “It’s not about understanding, it’s about not giving up.” – Chris Nielsen
6. “What some folks call impossible, is just stuff they haven’t seen before.” – Chris Nielsen
7. “Well, that’s my role. To bring adventure to your life.” – Annie Nielsen
8. “So if you’re aware you exist, then you do. That’s why you’re still here.” – Albert Lewis
9. “That’s when I realized I’m part of the problem. Not because I remind you. But because I couldn’t join you. So I left you alone. Don’t give up, okay?” – Chris Nielsen
10. “The old baggage, old roles of authority, who’s the teacher, who’s the father, gets in the way of who we really are to each other.” – The Tracker
What Dreams May Come Quotes That Talk About Heaven and Hell
11. “You were expecting physical danger? What could it do, kill you? No, in Hell, there’s a real danger of losing your mind.” – The Tracker
12. “Heaven would never be Heaven without you. Let this Hell be our Heaven.” – Chris Nielsen
13. “Everyone’s Hell is different. It’s not all fire and pain. The real Hell is your life gone wrong.” – Albert Lewis
14. “For being so wonderful a guy would choose Hell over Heaven just to hang around you.” – Chris Nielsen
15. “A whole human life is just a heartbeat here in Heaven. Then we’ll all be together forever.” – Chris Nielsen
Deep What Dreams May Come Quotes for You to Reflect On
16. “Is that a kind of occupational hazard for soulmates? One’s not much without the other?” – Chris Nielsen
17. “I found you in Hell. Don’t you think I could find you in Jersey?” – Chris Nielsen
18. “Thought is real. Physical is the illusion. Ironic, huh?” – Albert Lewis
19. “A place where we all go can’t be bad, can it girl?” – Chris Nielsen
20. “Each of us has an instinct that there is a natural order to our journey. And Annie’s violated that. She won’t face it. She won’t realize, accept, what she’s done. And she will spend eternity playing that out.” – Albert Lewis
21. Chris Nielsen: “Where is God in all of this?”
Albert Lewis: “Oh, He’s up there. Somewhere shouting down that He loves us. Wondering why we can’t hear Him. You think?”
22. “Chris, ‘here’ is big enough for everyone to have their own private universe.” – Albert Lewis
23. “Anyone ever tell you too much persistence can get kind of stupid?” – The Tracker
24. “I also used to read too slow. I don’t need these glasses—my eyes being a figment of my imagination.” – The Tracker
25. Albert Lewis: “Are you losing your fear?”
Chris Nielsen: “Fear?”
Albert Lewis: “That you disappeared? You didn’t, you only died.”
26. “Everything is mental.” – Albert Lewis
Emotional What Dreams May Come Quotes That’ll Melt Your Heart
27. “Thank you for every kindness. Thank you for our children. For the first time, I saw them. Thank you for being someone I was always proud to be with. For your guts, for your sweetness. For how you always looked, for how I always wanted to touch you. God, you were my life. I apologize for every time I ever failed you. Especially this one.” – Chris Nielsen
28. “Your wife loves you as strongly? We’ll find her. But when we find her nothing will make her recognize you. Nothing will break her denial. It’s stronger than her love. In fact, reinforced by her love. You can say everything you long to say, including goodbye. Even if she can’t understand it. And you’ll have the satisfaction that you didn’t give up. That has to be enough.” – The Tracker
29. “I was looking through his postcards. Paintings were his obsession. He used art as another way to love me, to help me. To keep us always together.” – Annie Nielsen
30. “I just wanted us to be old together, just two old farts laughing at each other as our bodies fell apart, together at the end by that lake in your painting. That was our Heaven.” – Chris Nielsen
31. “He was a coward! Being strong, not giving up, it was just his place to hide. He pushed away from the pain so hard he disconnected himself from the person he loved most. Sometimes when you win, you lose.” – Chris Nielsen
What Dreams May Come Quotes That’ll Make You Re-Watch the Movie
32. “A whole family lost to car crashes. Enough to make a person buy a bike.” – Annie Nielsen
33. “Dear Diary, I am writing in your bullshit pages because my shrink is crazier than I am. He thinks you’re in therapy.” – Annie Nielsen
34. “You just get me there, I’ll decide what’s enough.” – Chris Nielsen
35. “He’s so stupid that he thinks he pulled me through the breakdown when it was Christy. Always. Only Chris.” – Annie Nielsen
36. Chris Nielsen: “It’s a dream baby, it’s a beautiful one, but you know dreams—.”
Marie Nielsen: “I know, aren’t real. I know.”
37. “I see him as a father. That’s where he really shines. See, when he looks in his kid’s eyes and that kid knows that his dad really, really sees him—he sees who he is. Then that child knows that he is an amazing person.” – Chris Nielsen
More What Dreams May Come Quotes From the Book to Better Understand the Plot
38. “Suicide only precipitates a darker continuation of the same conditions from which escape was sought. A condition under circumstances so much more painful.” – Richard Matheson, Author
39. “The death of someone with whom a person has been long and closely associated leaves a literal vacuum in that person’s life.” – Richard Matheson, Author
40. “Each memory was brought to life before me and within me. I could not avoid them. Neither could I rationalize, explain away. I could only re-experience with total cognizance, unprotected by pretense.” – Richard Matheson, Author
41. “When you sleep, your dream world is as real to you as life, isn’t it?” – Richard Matheson, Author
42. “What had only been an imagination in life, now became tangible, each fantasy a full reality. I lived them all—while, at the same time, standing to the side, a witness to their, often, intimate squalor. A witness cursed with total objectivity.” – Richard Matheson, Author
43. “Anyone who couldn’t understand that what’s important is a man’s soul, not the color of his skin, would never be content here.” – Richard Matheson, Author
44. “Failures plagued me. Things I had omitted or ignored, neglected. What I should have given and hadn’t. I felt the biting pang of every unfulfillment.” – Richard Matheson, Author
45. “All of us have a path to follow and the path begins on earth.” – Richard Matheson, Author
46. “What condemnation could possibly be harsher than one’s own, when self-pretense is no longer possible?” – Richard Matheson, Author
47. “They think of suicide as a quick route to oblivion, an escape. Far from it. It merely alters a person from one form to another. Nothing can destroy the spirit.” – Richard Matheson, Author
48. “That which you believe becomes your world.” – Richard Matheson, Author
49. “There we will, I pray, remain and learn and grow until the time when we will rise together to the ultimate heights, changing in appearance but never in devotion, sharing the transcendent glory of our love through all eternity.” – Richard Matheson, Author
50. “Does a man’s existence change in any way when he removes his overcoat? Neither does it change when death removes the overcoat of his body. He’s still the same person. No wiser. No happier. No better off. Exactly the same. Death is merely a continuation at another level.” – Richard Matheson, Author
Did Our Collection Have a Significant Impact on Your Understanding of Eternal Life?
What Dreams May Come boldly begins with the notion that eternity is similar to the realm of imagination. This movie is an excellent example of how humans can imagine the unknown and lead our dreams to beautiful places. More than that, viewers are also pushed to their emotional limits and left with a slew of unanswered questions at the end of the movie.
Although it delves into some pretty deep topics that we can’t answer while living on this earth, What Dreams May Come also comforts us that death is not the end. It is a reminder that our souls are full of love and freedom and that there’s something more in store for us if we can just imagine and believe it.
We will constantly be haunted by fear, failure, and negativities if we do not allow ourselves to heal through love. So, let this movie serve as a reminder not to get chained by the past and negative things. Let love overflow and bring your soul and mind to a place filled with peace and hope.
Which quotes are your favorites? Have you watched the movie or read the book? Let us know in the comments below!