If your life has been chaotic lately and you can’t find the inner peace you desire, this collection of Yin and Yang quotes will guide you to a better life.
The concept of Yin and Yang comes from the Chinese religion and philosophy, Taoism.
In its symbol, the black portion represents the Yin, and the white side is the Yang. Each side contains a dot of the other color, indicating that everything includes a part of its opposite.
Despite having two contradicting colors in their symbol, Yin and Yang are not antithetical to each other. In fact, they are complementary.
These two opposing forces need each other to keep the universe balanced.
In this collection we’ve prepared, you will learn to embrace the essence of Yin and Yang.
Ultimately, you will find peace in living with forces you do not necessarily like.
So, read on and be inspired!
Best Yin and Yang Quotes
1. “Yin and Yang, male and female, strong and weak, rigid and tender, heaven and earth, light and darkness, thunder and lightning, cold and warmth, good and evil—the interplay of opposite principles constitute the universe.” – Confucius
2. “The essence of Yin and Yang centers on the tension between two halves of a whole that are both divided and connected.” – Angellia Moore
3. “Yin and Yang are the source of power and the beginning of everything in creation.” – Huang-Ti
4. “Nothing is completely Yin, nor is it completely Yang. All things in the material universe contain the seed of their opposite force. Therefore, Yin can become Yang and Yang can also become Yin, though both Yin and Yang are needed for the whole to be complete.” – Chang Sok Suh
5. “According to the Theory of Yin and Yang, everything in the universe consists of two opposing forces, yet they are deeply connected at a common place called or balance.” – Angellia Moore
6. “The immutable laws of the universe—no matter how complicated they may seem—collectively speaking, are the interaction and the relationship between the two polar energies, Yin and Yang.” – Larry Sang
7. “Yin is stronger and more abundant than Yang, but Yang is more obvious and active. There is more water on earth than fire, for example, but fire phenomena such as lightning are more exciting and attract more attention.” – Daniel Reid
8. “All things carry Yin and embrace Yang. They reach harmony by blending with the vital breath.” – Laozi
9. “The physical universe was created when Oneness became duality, and we can see this duality, this Yin and Yang, everywhere in the universe, in every atom, every action, and in every function of the human body. Yin and Yang manifest everywhere, except at the very center of being, the perfect point of balance, at that infinite moment where the future becomes the past.” – Robert Tisserand
10. “When there is harmony, Yin balances the Yang and Yang balances the Yin.” – Brendan Kelly
11. “The world is, was, will always be filled with good and evil, because good and evil is the Yin and Yang of the human condition.” – Philip Zimbardo
12. “Yang ascends to Heaven, Yin descends to Earth. Hence the universe—heaven and earth—represents motion and rest, controlled by the wisdom of nature.” – Huang-Ti
13. “The Yin cannot exist without the Yang. The Yang cannot exist without the Yin. They cannot exist in isolation.” – Angellia Moore
14. “The relationship between Yin and Yang is that of a partnership. The universe would be impossible without their interaction.” – John B. Cobb
15. “Yin and Yang are wonderful concepts, the balance, and harmony of life.” – Chris Mimnagh
Famous Yin and Yang Quotes
16. “Yin and Yang control man’s actions, and both extremes are a natural reaction.” – Ray Davies
17. “There’s eternal opposition between Yin and Yang. No third party at all, but treason occurs sometimes.” – Toba Beta
18. “There is no life without death. That is the true meaning of Yin and Yang.” – Lisa See
19. “Yin and Yang are one vital force—the primordial aura.” – Wang Yangming
20. “It’s the perfect balance between Yin and Yang that created a big bang and all things in essence.” – Ana Claudia Antunes
21. “Countless words count less than the silent balance between Yin and Yang.” – Laozi
22. “Yin and Yang are the two opposites which control the universe and thus the human body.” – George Lucas
23. “Within each of us lies conflicting forces—Yin and Yang, light and dark, good and evil.” – David Slack
24. “Yin is moist, weak, feminine. Yang is strong, dry, masculine.” – George Lucas
25. “Life is like a yin-yang. Whatever you see, whoever you meet. Every person who enters in your life has two sides; it depends on us which side we see—black or white.” – Deepak Joshi
26. “The motion of Yin and Yang generates all things in nature.” – Meh Jiuzhang and Guo Lei
27. “Yin and Yang are the left and right hands of the infinite —creator, destroyer, and reproducer of everything that exists.” – George Ohsawa
28. “Yang is day and Yin is night. Together, they create a day.” – Anonymous
29. “Yin and Yang—the dualities that make us human. As though our lives play out on an immense balance scale. Move one way, the scale tips to the left, but move the other, and it swings around to the right.” – Abramelin Keldor
30. “Yin and Yang are the essence of all life and love.” – Anonymous
Also read: Famous Quotes
Inspirational Quotes About Yin and Yang
31. “There are no greater adversaries than Yin and Yang because nothing in Heaven or on Earth escapes them. But it is not Yin and Yang that do this; it is your heart that makes it so.” – Zhuangzi
32. “By creating a healthy relationship between our own self, and balancing our Yin and Yang energies, we’ll find harmony and fulfillment within.” – Heidi M. Morrison
33. “What we are seeking is the nexus of all possible worlds and states of mind, which is within us. The source of Yin and Yang is within you.” – Frederick Lenz
34. “If it were any other way, it would be easy. And if it were any other way, everyone would do it, and your work would ultimately be devalued. The Yin and Yang are clear—without people pushing against your quest to do something worth talking about, it’s unlikely it would be worth the journey. Persist.” – Seth Godin
35. “Of the ways to achieve success, expanding and contracting in accordance with the Yin and the Yang is the most precious.” – Zhong Guan
36. “It is important to find a balance of Yin and Yang, not just in qigong, but in everyday life. In movement, seek stillness and rest. In rest, be mindful and attentive.” – Ken Cohen
37. “Often, the truly great and valuable lessons we learn in life are learned through pain. That’s why they call it growing pains. It’s all about Yin and Yang.” – Fran Drescher
38. “The age-old story of Yin and Yang—every positive side has a negative side too. Which are you?” – Timothy Pina
Yin and Yang Quotes That Show the Interdependence of the Two Opposing Forces
39. “The motion of yin-yang is a circular one—more a spiraling one—ever-changing between one phase and the other. As Yin fulfills itself, inherent within it are the seeds of Yang, and vice versa.” – Rodney L. Taylor
40. “Yin-yang is more than just a concept of opposites. It is the beginning of all things, an energy, a wholeness.” – Gary Erickson
41. “The Yin and the Yang are opposite forces. Yet, they exist together in the harmony of a perfect orb.” – R.A. Wise
42. “Yin and Yang are equal halves that form the whole.” – Anonymous
43. “Yin and Yang are two convenient polar opposites that are used to explain how things function in relation to one another and to the universe. No entity can be seen in isolation—everything is connected.” – W. John Diamond
44. “The circle of life cannot be broken, since Yin and Yang cannot survive without each other.” – Anonymous
45. “Yin and Yang are not oppositional but rather complementary forces. Yin and Yang are in no more conflict than the light of day is fighting the dark of night or the warmth of summer is battling with the cold of winter.” – Brendan Kelly
46. “In the West, when you talk about Yin and Yang, people normally think of Yin and Yang as something that’s linear. But in the east, we tend to think of Yin and Yang as circles. They’re two circles that actually can lie on top of each other, yet they remain separate.” – Frederick Lenz
47. “In a Yang, there is always a Yin. And in a Yin, there is always a Yang.” – Larry Sang
48. “Yin and Yang in themselves are, of course, opposites, so we use Yin and Yang to generalize opposing elements such as up and down, left and right, day and night, water and fire, male and female, inside and outside. But Yin and Yang do not exist in separated and independent forms. Yin and Yang are two faces of a whole, or, it may be said, Yin and Yang join together and combine into a whole.” – Jinghan He
Yin and Yang Quotes to Better Appreciate Balance and Harmony
49. “Heaven and earth are constant, and there is one Yin and one Yang. Yang is heaven’s virtue, and Yin is heaven’s use of punishments.” – Robin Wang
50. “If you want to live a balanced life, you must admit human nature is Yin and Yang, day and night, love and hate, you can’t reject it. It’s all about embracing it and celebrating the fact that we are weak, and out of that emerges great power.” – Adam Darski
51. “All that we do is governed by the law of opposites in which every so-called positive act is exactly and equally balanced by its opposite.” – Tony Parsons
52. “The Pentacle. The ancients envisioned their world in two halves—masculine and feminine. Their gods and goddesses worked to keep a balance of power. Yin and Yang. When male and female were balanced, there was harmony in the world. When they were unbalanced, there was chaos.” – Dan Brown
Yin and Yang Quotes to Strengthen Your Relationship With Your Lover
53. “Pain and pleasure are the Yin and Yang of love.” – J. Earp
54. “She was the Yin, he was the Yang. They grew with each other’s differences, and that’s true love.” – Sylvester Mcnutt
55. “The sexual union of male and female is thus regarded as the essential earthly manifestation of the great cosmic dance of Yin and Yang.” – Daniel Reid
More Yin and Yang Quotes That Will Help You Understand the Duality of Life
56. “Yang energy is active, and yin energy is passive, but together, they become a balanced force of nature.” – Ray Billington
57. “The circle that represents the whole is divided into Yin—black—and Yang—white—halves, two polar complements in harmonious balance. The two smaller circles in the centers—the eyes—shaded in the opposite color illustrate that within Yin, there is Yang and vice versa. Yin and Yang contain within themselves, at their very centers, the seeds of change. The curve dividing them indicates that this change is dynamic and continuous. Each half invades the other half and establishes itself in the center of its opposite.” – Simmone Kuo
58. “This is a concept that western culture has forgotten—everything is one! The idea of dichotomy is deeply wrong, and nothing is better than a great symbol of China, the Tao, the wheel of Yin and Yang that represents life. The universe is the harmony of opposites because there is no water without fire, there is no female with no male, there is no night without day, there is no sun without the moon, there is no good without evil! This symbol is perfect since the white and black are embracing each other—inside the white, there is a black point, and inside the black, there is a white point.” – Tiziano Terzani
59. “Yin and Yang has been regarded by the Chinese as an important principle for harmonizing conflicting principles, and it can help harmonize people’s minds when faced with what seem to be irreconcilable conflicts in their religious identity.” – John B. Cobb
60. “Yang is known to be more will-oriented and dynamic in nature. It is eternal motion and cosmic action. Yin, on the other hand, is receptive, supportive, and magnetic. It is eternally stabilizing and of cosmic potentiality. Both Yin and Yang possess the needed qualities for creation and evolution. In terms of natural law, no sex is above the other. Whenever one is generally overemphasized, the natural harmony is thrown out of balance. This is still the case today in the Western male—Yang—dominance of society. This excess of Yang on a global level is a cause of much of the world’s problems today. The same would be true of an excess of yin energy. Both of these forces and their associated qualities must stay in perpetual balance.” – S.K. Paul
Did These Quotes Inspire You to Bring Harmony Into Your Life?
Sometimes, we feel that there is an imbalance in our lives when we are facing many challenges. We tend to see life in a bad light. During these times, it may be helpful for us to think about Yin and Yang and how their relationship works.
The concept of Yin and Yang teaches us that the presence of misfortunes only means that there is an existence of blessings. A proper understanding of this will allow us to appreciate things because we can now compare them to their opposite. Case in point, we can only enjoy success if we know what struggles are.
We will also realize that negative experiences are necessary for our life. Life will be dull if we only experience the highs. And, if there is one thing the concept of Yin and Yang is firm about, it is that a worthwhile life has to balance the bad and the good.
With that, we hope that this collection was able to inspire you to establish a balanced life for yourself. Try to look around to see how the principle of Yin and Yang operates in all aspects of life. Look deeper, reflect on yourself, and appreciate the constant duality in everything!