If you want a better understanding of God’s Divine Providence, these top 80 mercy quotes are perfect for you!
As humans, we all make mistakes and have regrets. This makes us doubt ourselves, eventually leading to distress and anxiety. Although that’s the case, we must never lose sight of the fact that we serve a merciful God who will never tire of showing mercy to His people.
Even with all our misdeeds, there are countless ways to see how blessed we are because of His generosity.
We simply need to open our hearts and minds to the fact that there is a place of paradise awaiting us with His love. When we strengthen our faith in Him, His blessings, love, and grace will become much more apparent.
So, to help you gain a better understanding of how mercy works, read through our list below.
We’ve prepared the best mercy quotes to help you have an optimistic outlook on life!
Check out the complete list below.
Best Mercy Quotes
1. “Mercy is a sweet gracious working in love, mingled with plenteous pity: for mercy worketh in keeping us and mercy worketh turning to us all things to good.” – Julian of Norwich
2. “Even the smallest tender mercy can bring peace when recognized and appreciated.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
3. “Mercy is God’s loving response to sinners, and mercy is our loving response to others—and to ourselves—in circumstances of need.” – Mathew N. Schmalz
4. “It is mercy, not justice or courage or even heroism, that alone can defeat evil.” – Peter Kreeft
5. “Mercy among the virtues is like the moon among the stars—not so sparkling and vivid as many, but dispensing a calm radiance that hallows the whole.” – Edwin Hubbell Chapin
6. “Mercy. That is the gospel. The whole of it in one word.” – Edwin Hubbell Chapin
7. “Mercy in the promise is as the apple in the seed.” – William Gurnall
8. “Mercy listens—really listens, with interest and concern—then smiles, and reaches out her hand.” – J. M. DeMatteis
Mercy Quotes That’ll Make You Appreciate Life
9. “God’s mercy is fresh and new every morning.” – Joyce Meyer
10. “Keep your eyes open to your mercies. The man who forgets to be thankful has fallen asleep in life.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
11. “No matter how messy your situation is, God can still have mercy upon your life.” – Gift Gugu Mona
12. “There is a devilish mercy in the judge, if you’ll implore it, that will free your life, but fetter you till death.” – William Shakespeare
Short Mercy Quotes to Instill Compassion in Your Heart
13. “Be merciful until you can’t be.” – Clementine von Radics
14. “With mercy and sympathy, no one will hate to love one another.” – Auliq Ice
15. “The power of just mercy is that it belongs to the undeserving.” – Bryan Stevenson
16. “A little bit of mercy makes the world less cold and more just.” – Pope Francis
17. “A merciful heart beats contently stronger than many vengeful ones.” – Munia Khan
18. “Mercy is without a price and beyond all price.” – Anonymous
19. “Mercy is easier with understanding.” – Joyce Rachelle
20. “Mercy will get you killed, but sometimes it’s all that makes us human.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
21. “Mercy is the stuff you give to people that don’t deserve it.” – Joyce Meyer
22. “Where mercy is shown, mercy is given.” – Duane Dog Chapman
23. “If we refuse mercy here, we shall have justice in eternity.” – Jeremy Taylor
24. “God’s mercy can drown great sins, as the sea covers great rocks.” – Thomas Watson
Also read: Short Quotes
Powerful Mercy Quotes to Reinforce Your Faith
25. “God’s mercy and grace give me hope—for myself, and for our world.” – Billy Graham
26. “God tolerates even our stammering, and pardons our ignorance whenever something inadvertently escapes us—as, indeed, without this mercy, there would be no freedom to pray.” – John Calvin
27. “The way to forget our miseries, is to remember the God of our mercies.” – Matthew Henry
28. “God leads us to eternal life not by our merits but according to His mercy.” – Augustine of Hippo
29. “Mercy is the very foundation of the church’s life—the church’s very credibility is seen in how she shows merciful and compassionate love. Mercy is the force that reawakens us to new life and instills in us the courage to look to the future with hope.” – Pope Francis
30. “Once a man has truly experienced the mercy of God in his life, he will henceforth aspire only to serve.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
31. “One spiritual mercy is worth more than all temporal blessings.” – William S. Plumer
32. “Your sin is not greater than God’s mercy.” – Nauman Ali Khan
33. “We do pray for mercy; and that same prayer doth teach us all to render the deeds of mercy.” – William Shakespeare
Profound Mercy Quotes That’ll Make You Think Twice
34. “Sweet mercy is nobility’s true badge.” – Willian Shakespeare
35. “Mercy is stronger than your sword.” – P. C. Cast
36. “The crown of love is mercy.” – Kristian Goldmund Aumann
37. “Mercy to him that shows it, is the rule.” – William Cowper
38. “Let mercy keep company with courage.” – Wolfram Von Eschenbach
39. “Infinite mercy flows continually. But you’re asleep and can’t see it.” – Jalaluddin Rumi
40. “Mercy is far better than justice, even if it is your right to ask for it.” – E.A. Bucchianeri
41. “The candle of mercy is set up not to play by but to work by.” – Thomas Brooks
42. “Mercy does not always express itself by withholding punishment.” – Ernest M. Ligoni
43. “The tree of mercy will not drop its fruits unless shaken by the hand of prayer.” – Thomas Watson
Mercy Quotes for Hope During Hard Times
44. “Apart from the mercy of God, there is no other source of hope for mankind.” – Pope John Paul II
45. “Our sole hope, our sole confidence, our only assured promise, is your mercy.” – Augustine of Hippo
46. “Our job on earth isn’t to criticize, reject, or judge. Our purpose is to offer a helping hand, compassion, and mercy. We are to do unto others as we hope they would do unto us.” – Dana Arcuri
47. “Place your hopes in the mercy of God and the merits of our Redeemer; say often, looking at the crucifix, ‘There are centered all my hopes.’” – Paul of the Cross
48. “No man acts with true wisdom till he fears God and hopes in His mercy.” – William S. Plumer
Also read: Hardship Quotes
Mercy Quotes That Zoom in on Forgiveness
49. “May we not succumb to thoughts of violence and revenge today, but rather to thoughts of mercy and compassion. We are to love our enemies so that they might be returned to their right minds.” – Marianne Williamson
50. “Mercy and forgiveness must be free and unmerited to the wrongdoer. If the wrongdoer has to do something to merit it, then it isn’t mercy.” – Timothy Keller
51. “Thank God for His great mercy of forgiveness.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
Mercy Quotes to Get Insights on Justice
52. “It is an attribute to God Himself; and earthly power doth then show likest God’s when mercy seasons justice.” – William Shakespeare
53. “Mercy without justice is the mother of dissolution; justice without mercy is cruelty.” – Thomas Aquinas
54. “There is no true justice without mercy. Mercy precedes everything, and it is why we are here.” – Kabir Helminski
55. “Mercy is what moves us toward God, while justice makes us tremble in His sight.” – Pope Benedict XVI
56. “I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.” – Abraham Lincoln
57. “For children are innocent and love justice, while most of us are wicked and naturally prefer mercy.” – G.K. Chesterton
58. “Every act, every deed of justice and mercy and benevolence, makes heavenly music in Heaven.” – Ellen G. White
59. “Too much mercy—often resulted in further crimes which were fatal to innocent victims who need not have been victims if justice had been put first and mercy second.” – Agatha Christie
60. “Always seek justice, but love only mercy. To love justice and hate mercy is but a doorway to more injustice.” – Criss Jami
61. “This hour we are stretching forth our hands with the desire to teach the world the true principles of mercy and justice.” – Marcus Garvey
62. “Know that the highest expression of justice is mercy.” – Vera Nazarian
Mercy Quotes That Tackle God’s Divine Judgment
63. “Sometimes due to God’s mercy, the time in God’s plan can be stretched or extended.” – Sunday Adelaja
64. “The steadfast love of the Lord is not seasonal; His mercies do not have winter or summer days—they are new every now and then.” – Israelmore Ayivor
65. “God is so merciful, His mercy is unaltered by any hatred towards Him.” – Gift Gugu Mona
66. “God can pardon a great sin. The greatness of God’s mercy can wipe all unrighteousness actions of inequities.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
67. “Without the mercy of God, how could we have a merry heart?” – Lailah Gifty Akita.
68. “Grace is when God gives us what we don’t deserve, and mercy is when God doesn’t give us what we do deserve.” – Dan Roberts
69. “The Lord’s mercy often rides to the door of our heart upon the black horse of affliction.” – Charles Spurgeon
70. “As there is no mercy too great for God to give, so there is no mercy too little for us to crave.” – Thomas Brooks
71. “The main message of Jesus, I believed, is that mercy trumps justice every time.” – Paul Kalanithi
Mercy Quotes From the Bible
72. “God’s mercy is bigger than your mistakes.” – Lamentations 3:22-23
73. “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” – Lamentations 2:22-23
74. “Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.” – Matthew 5:7
75. “But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.” – Ephesians 2:4-5
76. “Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord; may Your love and faithfulness always protect me.” – Psalm 40:11
77. “But in Your great mercy you did not put an end to them or abandon them, for You are a gracious and merciful God.” – Nehemiah 9:31
78. “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” – Hebrew 4:16
79. “For the Lord thy God is a merciful God; He will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee.” – Deuteronomy 4:31
80. “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” – Luke 6:36-37
Did These Mercy Quotes Help You See the Beauty in Forgiveness?
Mercy is a gift from God that allows us to experience how wonderful a life with forgiveness can be. We all make mistakes as humans. But, as long as we reflect and do our best to change for the better, through mercy, we will be able to enjoy life with God’s abundant love and grace.
However, we must not take God’s forgiveness for granted. Just because He is an all-loving God does not mean we can abuse His love and care for us.
That is precisely why we must treat others with care and compassion. When a wrong is done to us, remember God’s mercy and be forgiving toward those that have committed a mistake against you. In the same way, reflect on your mistakes and ask for others’ forgiveness when you commit wrongs against them.
Remember that the Lord’s mercies are more significant than anything. So, live, love, and laugh frequently, and continue spreading His goodness.
With that, we hope we were able to help you understand how vital mercy is in living a full life. May these quotes guide you whenever you need to be more forgiving toward yourself and others!