This list of sanity quotes will help you keep it together, no matter how crazy and loud life gets!
As humans, we crave excitement, change, and adventure.
But, sometimes, life can get a little too intense, making us feel as if everything is spiraling out of control. It’s in times like this that our sanity comes in handy.
To be sane is to think clearly and make wise decisions. Sanity, after all, is anchored on having good mental well-being. Without it, we’ll get swept away by this craziness we call life.
However, with sanity comes insanity, and it is sometimes hard to distinguish between the two.
If you’re curious to know how being sane differs from madness, check out our entire collection below.
And don’t forget to check out these greatness quotes and intelligence quotes.
Best Sanity Quotes
1. “Sanity is a madness put to good uses.” – George Santayana
2. “Sanity is a notch above plain old keeping it together.” – Joy Watson
3. “Sanity is only that which is within the frame of reference of conventional thought.” – Erich Fromm
4. “Sanity becomes the fantasy that keeps us sane; a rhetorical prop in an unplotted, threatening world.” – Adam Philips
5. “One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” – Nikola Tesla
Famous Quotes About Sanity
6. “Sanity is not something you find; sanity is something you either have or don’t.” – Byron Pulsifer
7. “Sanity remains defined simply by the ability to cope with insane conditions.” – Anna Castillo
8. “One of the definitions of sanity is the ability to tell real from unreal. Soon, we’ll need a new definition.” – Alvin Toffler
9. “Sanity is a valuable possession; I hoard it the way people once hoarded money. I save it, so I will have enough when the time comes.” – Margaret Atwood
10. “Sanity is not truth. Sanity is conformity to what is socially expected. Truth is sometimes in conformity, sometimes not.” – Robert M. Pirsig
Sanity Quotes That Will Ground You
11. “Sanity is sometimes a matter of going on, outwardly, as if everything is alright.” – Mary McMullen
12. “What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?” – Ursula K. Le Guin
13. “We’ve got to decide that we want to live in a world that is sane and happy and healthy, and that everyone deserves that.” – Majora Carter
14. “Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.” – Miguel de Cervantes
Also read: Positive Quotes, Encouraging Quotes
Short Sanity Quotes That Will Clear Your Mind
15. “Sanity is a cozy lie.” – Susan Sontag
16. “Part of being sane is being a little bit crazy.” – Janet C. Long
17. “Sanity is not statistical.” – George Orwell
18. “Where sanity is, there God is.” – D. H. Lawrence
19. “Sanity is an illusion caused by alcohol deficiency.” – N. F. Simpson
Poetic Sanity Quotes for You to Reflect On
20. “I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.” – Edgar Allan Poe
21. “Sanity brings pain but madness is a vile thing.” – Euripides
22. “In a mad world, only the mad are sane.” – Akira Kurosawa
23. “Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.” – Carl Gustav Jung
24. “Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.” – John Russell
25. “The sanity of society is a balance of a thousand insanities.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wise Sanity Quotes That Will Shift Your Perspective
26. “If you think anyone is sane you just don’t know enough about them.” – Christopher Moore
27. “Sanity means the wholeness of the consciousness. And our society is only part conscious, like an idiot.” – D. H. Lawrence
28. “Sanity is, in essence, nothing more than the ability to live in harmony with nature`s laws.” – Freeman Dyson
29. “Sanity can take one of only two forms: that of ignorance, or denial.” – Derek R. Audette
30. “Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.” – Mark Twain
31. “Sanity is a sliding scale for we all hold beliefs that may not correspond to reality.” – Julian Gold
32. “Facts by themselves can often feed the flame of madness because sanity is a spirit.” – G. K. Chesterton
33. “Sane is the insanity most call normality put forth by society.” – Erik Till
34. “Sanity is the great virtue of the ancient literature; the want of that is the great defect of the modern, in spite of its variety and power.” – Matthew Arnold
35. “Now, ‘sanity’ is a very loaded word. It’s hard to define it without appeal to terms such as ‘normal,’ and that’s even worse because we have a very mixed set of notions about normality.” – Julian Gold
Sanity Quotes to Help You Keep Your Wits About You
36. “Sanity now it’s beyond me, there’s no choice.” – Ozzy Osbourne
37. “I had a quick grasp of the secret to sanity—it had become the ability to hold the maximum of impossible combinations in one’s mind.” – Norman Miller
38. “‘Inside every sane person, there’s a madman struggling to get out,’ said the shopkeeper. ‘That’s what I’ve always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person.’” – Terry Pratchett
39. “Sanity, it would seem, was a dangerously contagious disease.” – H. Beam Piper
40. “Sanity lies somewhere between the inhibitions of conventional morality and the looseness of the extreme impulse.” – Chogyam Trungpa
Sanity Quotes to Read When Things Get Chaotic
41. “When you’re the only sane person, you look like the only insane person.” – Criss Jami
42. “You’ve got to have a sense of humor to keep your sanity.” – Lance Bass
43. “Sometimes, to regain sanity, one had to acknowledge and embrace the madness.” – Morgan Rhodes
44. “Sanity—had it ever been more than a convention—a comfortable set of blinkers, an agreed mode of wishful thinking, which excluded from our view the full strangeness and malevolence of the universe we are compelled to inhabit?” – C.S. Lewis
45. “Our sanity depends essentially on a narrowness of vision, the ability to select the elements vital to survival while ignoring the great truths.” – Josephine Hart
46. “Sanity is an illusion. Created by the minds of people who fear the wicked.” – Alexander Thol
More Sanity Quotes for Those Who Want to Remain Clearheaded
47. “You have to keep your sanity as well as know how to distance yourself from it while still holding onto the reins tightly. That is a very difficult thing to do, but I’m learning.” – Diahann Carroll
48. “Your sanity is harder to get back than money or contacts. You are the magic. You are the art. You can’t lose that.” – Esperanza Spalding
49. “Sanity is tenuous. Tenuous. Comes and goes. Many of the brightest people floating about this planet have only a finger’s grip on sanity, if that.” – Cathy Lamb
50. “If all sane men were marked with chalk, and the insane with charcoal, there would soon be a scarcity of chalk.” – Horace
How Do You Keep Yourself Sane Despite All the Madness in the World?
There’s no other way to say it. Life is stressful, especially as an adult; your day-to-day gets filled with seemingly endless tasks and decisions you have to face. When we allow ourselves to wallow in them, our sanity slowly gets drained.
So, we must keep our heads above water and do our best to stay sane. The good news is that there are many simple ways to do this. Simply taking time for self-care, sticking to a schedule, and even starting a healthy diet can help you stay sane.
You can be more productive in achieving your goals when you’re sane. This is because sanity is closely tied to mental health. When you’re sane, you’re in a good headspace; it will then naturally follow that you’re clearheaded enough to make sound decisions.
Start saving your sanity to kickstart your journey toward a peaceful and meaningful life. You might feel like you’re losing all hope because of the craziness surrounding you, but everything will eventually fall into place if you just breathe. Keep this list in your bookmarks so you’ll always have something to look back on when you need advice!