Join us as we embark on a journey to a magical world through this list of the best The Wizard of Oz quotes!
Nowadays, works of fiction with great moral lessons are getting scarcer by the day.
Thankfully, we’ll always have The Wizard of Oz—a movie released in 1939 that takes us on Dorothy Gale’s journey to the vibrant and colorful Land of Oz.
The movie was based on L. Frank Baum’s novel published in 1900.
As Dorothy and her dog, Toto, try to find their way back home, they meet many new friends that’ll teach them about genuine friendship, courage, and living life with compassion.
The Wizard of Oz is a timeless classic from which people of all ages can pick up lessons.
So, if you’re a fan of the movie or the book, make sure you read through this collection!
We’ve gathered the best lines from your favorite characters, which you will surely love!
Continue to the complete list below.
And don’t forget to check out these Beauty and the Beast quotes and The Lion King quotes.
Best The Wizard of Oz Quotes
1. “There is no place like home.” – Dorothy Gale
2. “I shall take the heart. For brains do not make one happy, and happiness is the best thing in the world.” – The Tin Man
3. “I am content in knowing I am as brave as any best that ever lived, if not braver.” – The Cowardly Lion
4. “No matter how dreary and gray our homes are, we people of flesh and blood would rather live there than in any other country, be it ever so beautiful.” – Dorothy Gale
5. “A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” – The Tin Man
6. “If we walk far enough, we shall sometime come to someplace.” – Dorothy Gale
7. “Now I know I’ve got a heart, ’cause it’s breaking.” – The Tin Man
8. “It was a terrible thing to undergo. But during the year I stood there, I had the time to think that the greatest loss I had known was the loss of my heart. While I was in love, I was the happiest man on earth.” – The Tin Man
9. “You have plenty of courage, I am sure. All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. The true courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty.” – The Wizard of Oz
10. “Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly. Birds fly over the rainbow. Why then, oh why can’t I? If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why oh why can’t I?” – Dorothy Gale
Famous The Wizard of Oz Quotes
11. “It is such an uncomfortable feeling to know one is a fool.” – Scarecrow
12. “You people with hearts, have something to guide you, and need never do wrong; but I have no heart, and so I must be very careful.” – The Tin Man
13. “Frightened? Child, you’re talking to a man who’s laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe. I was petrified.” – The Wizard of Oz
14. “I didn’t mean to kill her. Really, I didn’t. It’s just that he was on fire.” – Dorothy Gale
Also read: Famous Quotes, Encouraging Quotes
Motivational The Wizard of Oz Quotes That Will Give You Courage
15. “Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage!” – The Cowardly Lion
16. “You are under the unfortunate impression that just because you run away you have no courage; you’re confusing courage with wisdom.” – The Wizard of Oz
17. “A baby has brains, but it doesn’t know much. Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge, and the longer you are on earth the more experience you are sure to get.” – The Wizard of Oz
18. “That must be a matter of opinion. For my part, I will bear all the unhappiness without a murmur, if you will give me the heart.” – The Tin Man
The Wizard of Oz Quotes to Get a Glimpse of Deep Matters of the Heart
19. “As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. You don’t know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable.” – The Wizard of Oz
20. “I think you are wrong to want a heart. It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart.” – The Wizard of Oz
21. “Once I had brains, and a heart also; so, having tried them both, I should much rather have a heart.” – The Tin Man
Also read: Grease Quotes, Mamma Mia Quotes
The Wizard of Oz Quotes From Glinda
22. “Are you a good witch or a bad witch?” – Glinda
23. “You’ve always had the power, my dear, you just had to learn it yourself.” – Glinda
24. “Only bad witches are ugly.” – Glinda
25. “Because she wouldn’t have believed me. She had to learn it for herself.” – Glinda
26. “You’ve no power here! Begone, before someone drops a house on you too!” – Glinda
Also read: La La Land Quotes, The Greatest Showman Quotes
The Wizard of Oz Quotes From Dorothy
27. “If I ever go looking for my heart’s desire again, I won’t look any further than my own backyard. Because if it isn’t there, then I never really lost it, to begin with!” – Dorothy Gale
28. “Don’t be silly, Toto. Scarecrows don’t talk.” – Dorothy Gale
29. “Someplace where there isn’t any trouble. Do you suppose there is such a place, Toto? There must be.” – Dorothy Gale
30. “My! People come and go so quickly here!” – Dorothy Gale
31. “Never give up, Ojo. No one knows what’s going to happen next.” – Dorothy Gale
32. “Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.” – Dorothy Gale
33. “Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh my!” – Dorothy Gale
34. “My goodness, what a fuss you’re making! Well naturally, when you go around picking on things weaker than you are. Why, you’re nothing but a great big coward!” – Dorothy Gale
35. “Toto, we’re home. Home! And this is my room, and you’re all here. And I’m not gonna leave here ever, ever again because I love you all.” – Dorothy Gale
The Wizard of Oz Quotes From the Lion
36. “Wait a minute, fellows. I was just thinking. I really don’t want to see the Wizard this much. I’d better wait for you outside.” – The Cowardly Lion
37. “It is my great sorrow, and makes my life very unhappy. But whenever there is danger, my heart begins to beat fast.” – The Cowardly Lion
38. “You’re right, I am a coward! I haven’t any courage at all. I even scare myself.” – The Cowardly Lion
39. “That doesn’t do any good, I’m afraid of ’em.” – The Cowardly Lion
40. “I have always thought myself very big and terrible, yet such small things as flowers came near to killing me, and such small animals as mice have saved my life. How strange it all is!” – The Cowardly Lion
The Wizard of Oz From the Scarecrow
41. “If anyone treads on my toes or sticks a pin into me, it doesn’t matter, for I can’t feel it. But I do not want people to call me a fool.” – Scarecrow
42. “I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed.” – Scarecrow
43. “If you only had a brain in your head you would be as good as a man as any of them, and a better man than some of them. Brains are the only things worth having in this world, no matter whether one is a crow or a man.” – Scarecrow
44. “Of course I cannot understand it. If your heads were stuffed with straw, like mine, you would probably all live in beautiful places, and then Kansas would have no people at all. It is fortunate for Kansas that you have brains.” – Scarecrow
45. “For I consider brains far superior to money in every way. You may have noticed that if one has money without brains, he cannot use it to his advantage; but if one has brains without money, they will enable him to live comfortably to the end of his days.” – Scarecrow
The Wizard of Oz Quotes by Other Characters
46. “Well, how would you like to have someone come along and pick something off of you?” – Angry Apple Tree
47. “Almira Gulch, just because you own half the county doesn’t mean that you have the power to run the rest of us. For 23 years, I’ve been dying to tell you what I thought of you, and now—well, being a Christian woman, I can’t say it!” – Auntie Em
48. “If I run, I may fall down and break myself. But one is never so pretty after being mended, you know.” – Princess China
49. “We dare not harm this little girl for she is protected by the Power of Good, and this is greater than the Power of Evil.” – The King of the Winged Monkeys
The Wizard of Oz Quotes to Remember
50. Dorothy Gale: “How can you talk, if you haven’t got a brain?”
Scarecrow: “I don’t know. But, some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don’t they?”
51. “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.” – The Wizard of Oz
52. “There’s only one thing I want you guys to do—talk me out of it.” – The Cowardly Lion
53. “Would you do with a brain if you had one?” – Dorothy Gale
54. “You billowing bale of bovine fodder!” – The Wizard of Oz
55. “I hope your tail holds out!” – The Tin Man
56. Dorothy Gale: “Oh, you’re the best friends anybody ever had. And it’s funny, but I feel as if I’d known you all the time, but I couldn’t have, could I?”
Scarecrow: “I don’t see how. You weren’t around when I was stuffed and sewn together, were you?”
The Tin Man: “And I was standing over there, rusting for the longest time.”
Dorothy Gale: “Still, I wish I could remember, but I guess it doesn’t matter anyway. We know each other now, don’t we?”
57. “Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high, there’s a land that I’ve heard of once in a lullaby.” – Dorothy Gale
More The Wizard of Oz Quotes for Fans of the Book
58. “We must journey on until we find the Road of the Yellow Brick again, and then we can keep on to the Emerald City.” – L. Frank Baum, Author
59. “You are welcome, most noble sorceress to the land of the Munchkins. We are so grateful to you for having killed the Wicked Witch of the East, and for setting our people free from the bondage.” – L. Frank Baum, Author
60. “I should like to live here all my life. See how soft the dried leaves are under your feet and how rich and green the moss is that clings to these old trees. Surely no wild beast could wish for a pleasanter home.” – L. Frank Baum, Author
Did These The Wizard of Oz Quotes Help You Realize the Power You Have Within?
Our very own Yellow Brick Road can get quite bumpy. But, if we know what we’re working toward, if we are true to ourselves, and if we surround ourselves with people who love us, reaching our destination will not be impossible. After all, what we need to be happy is already within us; this is a lesson The Wizard of Oz tries to impart.
We tend to seek validation and love from others when all we really need is to accept ourselves for who we truly are. The road to our goals will never be easy, but like Dorothy, never quit and never stop dreaming.
In the same way, like her friends, remember that you already have everything you need to reach the top. The Scarecrow is looking for a brain, The Tin Man is looking for a heart, and The Cowardly Lion is looking for courage. But, in the end, the three of them realize that if they just reflected on themselves and looked within, everything they were looking for was just inside them, waiting to be discovered.
The Wizard of Oz is just jam-packed with valuable pearls of wisdom that can change the trajectory of our lives. We hope you were able to gather a few of them by reading through the list above. Make sure you watch out for more lessons the next time you re-watch the movie!
Who’s your favorite character from The Wizard of Oz? Which quote is your favorite? Comment below!