Fill yourself up with energy by reading these action-packed and thought-provoking Training Day quotes.
Training Day is a 2001 movie starring Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke.
Their characters—Jake Hoyt and Alonzo Harris—had contrasting views on life, which will definitely make you think about reality and morality.
In the movie, Jake is up for a 24-hour evaluation for promotion by Alonzo.
As we see their interactions with one another, we witness the difference in their approach to finding justice and fairness in the streets of Los Angeles. The duality they portray makes us continually question who’s right and wrong.
So, if you need some insights into the reality of work, crime, and life, add this to your must-read list now.
Keep reading below to learn more about Training Day.
Best Training Day Quotes
1. “You got to control your smiles and cries because that’s all you have, and nobody can take that away from you.” – Jake Hoyt
2. “You’ve got to hide that love deep inside, you understand? Otherwise, these maggots out here on the street, they’ll find it, they’ll use it against you, and they will chew you up.” – Alonzo Harris
3. “It’s not what you know. It’s what you can prove.” – Alonzo Harris
4. “To protect the sheep, you got to catch the wolf, and it takes a wolf to catch a wolf.” – Alonzo Harris
5. “Nobody told you to smoke that thing. You made the decision. Live with your decision. Ain’t like I put a gun to your head.” – Alonzo Harris
6. “Nothing’s free in this world, Jake. Not even arrest warrants.” – Alonzo Harris
7. “I told you that’s my evidence. You wanna go to jail, or you wanna go home?” – Alonzo Harris
8. “You can shoot me, but you can’t kill me.” – Alonzo Harris
9. “Use your ears and hear me, Jake. Sometimes, we got to take this sh*t all the way. Now, nobody will ever ask you to pull the trigger if you don’t want to.” – Alonzo Harris
Famous Training Day Quotes
10. “Life’s a trip, qué no?” – Smiley
11. “The sh*t’s chess. It ain’t checkers!” – Alonzo Harris
12. “Yeah, that’s right, you better walk away. Go on and walk away ’cause I’m gonna burn this motherf*cker down.” – Alonzo Harris
13. “F*ck him and everybody who looks like him.” – Alonzo Harris
14. “I wanna tell you, man. I appreciate what you did for my nephew. That’s some real sh*t.” – Bone
15. “It’s no fun when the rabbit has the gun, is it?” – Jake Hoyt
16. “Learn that sh*t, brother. That sh*t will get you killed. These motherf*ckers out there be plotting all types of sh*t on you.” – Alonzo Harris
17. “I don’t know why I’m talking to you. I don’t talk to dead men.” – Lou Jacobs
18. “They’re not like you. You wanna know what I learned today? I’m not like you.” – Jake Hoyt
19. “King Kong ain’t got sh*t on me! I’m winning anyway. I’m winning. I’m winning any motherf*cking way. I can’t lose.” – Alonzo Harris
20. “Who the f*ck you think you’re f*cking with! I’m the police! I run sh*t here. You just live here! You’ll never see the light of who the f*ck do you think you’re f*cking with? I’m the police. I run sh*t around here. You just live here.” – Alonzo Harris
Training Day Quotes From Alonzo (Denzel Washington)
21. “Sometimes you gotta have a little dirt on you for anybody to trust you.” – Alonzo Harris
22. “Believe it or not, I do try to do some good in the community.” – Alonzo Harris
23. “If I was a dealer, you’d be dead by now.” – Alonzo Harris
24. “It’s not like I was pointing a gun at your head.” – Alonzo Harris
25. “They build jails ’cause of me.” – Alonzo Harris
26. “You motherf*ckers will be playin’ basketball in Pelican Bay when I get finished with you!” – Alonzo Harris
27. “You stick around with me, you’ll make it. Unlearn that bullshit they teach you at the Academy. That sh*t will get you killed out here.” – Alonzo Harris
28. “This is a newspaper, right? It’s 90% bullshit, but it’s entertaining. That’s why I read it because it entertains me. You won’t let me read it, so you entertain me with your bullshit. Tell me a story right now, go.” – Alonzo Harris
29. “You know I’m surgical with this b*tch, Jake. How do you want it, dog? Closed casket? Remember that fool in the wheelchair? How do you think he got there?” – Alonzo Harris
30. “You wouldn’t mind if I have some of your $3,000 a glass sh*t there, would you?” – Alonzo Harris
31. “You know where you gonna end up? In the gas chambers. You know what the gas chambers smell like? Pine oil. That’s where you headed, pine oil heaven.” – Alonzo Harris
Also read: Denzel Washington Quotes
Training Day Quotes to Get To Know the Characters Better
32. Roger: “Here’s a joke, boy. One day, this man walks out of his house to go to work. He sees this snail on his porch. So he picks it up and chucks it over his roof, into the backyard. Snail bounces off a rock, cracks its shell all to sh*t, and lands in the grass. Snail lies there dying. But it doesn’t die. It eats some grass. Slowly heals. Grows a new shell. And after a while, it can crawl again. One day the snail gets up and heads back to the front of the house. Finally, after a year, the little guy crawls back on the porch. Right then, the man walks out to go to work and sees this snail again. So he says to it, ‘What the f*ck’s your problem?'”
Jake Hoyt: “That’s messed up. That wasn’t funny.”
Alonzo Harris: “Then why are you cackling like a jackal?”
Jake Hoyt: “I don’t know.”
Roger: “Figure that joke out and you’ll figure the streets out.”
33. “I’m putting cases on all of you b*tches!” – Alonzo Harris
34. “That is the second time you have pointed a gun at me. There will not be a third.” – Jake Hoyt
35. “Hey pig, you ever had your sh*t pushed in? Your sh*t pushed in. Simple question.” – Moreno
36. “Today is a training day, officer Hoyt. Show you around, give you a taste of the business. I got 38 cases pending trial, 63 inactive investigations, and another 250 on the log I can’t clear. I supervise five officers. That’s five different personalities, five sets of problems. You can be number six if you act now. But I ain’t holding no hands, okay? I ain’t babysitting. You got today, and today, only to show me who and what you’re made of. You don’t like narcotics. Get the f*ck out of my car. Go get you a nice, p*ssy desk job, chasing bad checks or something, you hear me?” – Alonzo Harris
Also read: Boyz n the Hood Quotes
Funny Training Day Quotes That Will Always Make You Laugh
37. Alonzo Harris: “What’s wrong with street justice?”
Jake Hoyt: “Oh, what, so just let the animals wipe themselves out, right?”
Alonzo Harris: “God willing. F*ck them and everybody that looks like them.”
38. Alonzo Harris: “But I don’t believe you. You tapped that *ss, didn’t you? You did! You put her in the back seat. Bam! Code X!”
Jake Hoyt: “Nah, man, I got a wife.”
Alonzo Harris: “You got a dick. You do have a dick, don’t you? Okay, the dick lines up straight like that, right? To the right of it and to the left of it are pockets, right? In those pockets are money. Look in either one of them. Pay the bill.”
39. “Take that dick and stick it up that funky little *ss of yours, b*tch. Damn, I’m thirsty.” – Alonzo Harris
Short Training Day Quotes for Everyone Who Loved the Movie
40. “What a day. What a motherf*ckin’ day.” – Alonzo Harris
41. “I am always getting love for the homies.” – Smiley
42. “You don’t deserve this.” – Jake Hoyt
43. “You disloyal, fool-*ss, b*tch-made punk.” – Alonzo Harris
44. “I want to protect the streets by ridding it of dangerous drugs.” – Jake Hoyt
45. “Lieutenant’s got our back. We know a week before we piss.” – Alonzo Harris
46. “Everybody, put your guns down! That’s an order.” – Alonzo Harris
47. “Motherf*cker. You shot me in the *ss.” – Alonzo Harris
48. “Why the long face, Doug? Feds seize your house?” – Alonzo Harris
49. “I’m here for Alonzo.” – Jake Hoyt
50. “You can’t put this sh*t on me. I did not sign up for this!” – Jake Hoyt
Are You More Like Jake Hoyt or Alonzo Harris?
Everyone has different perspectives on morality and justice. Some of us believe in the idealist way of looking at things, and others learn to accept the hard truths about life.
These contrasting views are one of the main themes of Training Day. Through it, we get to observe Jake Hoyt’s naivety and Alonzo Harris’s corrupt thoughts. Though both outlooks are flawed, they help us reflect more about people and life.
In a way, Jake and Alonzo represent the difference in people’s mindsets and goals. Coming across people with opposite views as ours is a fact of life we can’t escape from. But, we must realize how essential these circumstances are for us to learn and grow.
Let these quotes entertain you and help you realize things about the world. Like Jake and Hoyt, keep finding answers and challenging yourself. After all, these experiences are what make us improve and find purpose.
Did you learn a lot from these Training Day quotes? Which quote is your favorite? Comment below!