Let this list of fortitude quotes help you gain strength in this world full of trials and challenges!
When you experience a difficult situation, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and just give up without trying.
Even if you don’t necessarily want to quit, it often feels like it’s the best option at the moment. But, if you face these challenges with fortitude, you can keep going even when things are tough.
That’s what fortitude is—the strength to not give up in the face of opposition, hardship, and suffering.
It’s also the ability to recover quickly from setbacks, trauma, or misfortune.
So, if you’re one of those people who want to practice fortitude in your life to attain success, read on!
Continue reading below.
Best Fortitude Quotes
1. “Fortitude is the disposition of soul which enables us to despise all inconveniences and the loss of things not in our power.” – Augustine of Hippo
2. “Fortitude is the capacity to say no when the world wants to hear yes.” – Erich Fromm
3. “Fortitude is the guard and support of the other virtues.” – John Locke
4. “Fortitude is the marshal of thought, the armor of the will, and the fort of reason.” – Francis Bacon
5. “Fortitude. It means fixity of purpose. It means endurance. It means having the strength to live with what constrains you.” – Hilary Mantel
6. “One’s own troubles can be borne with fortitude; only a monster of indifference can bear the sufferings of others with fortitude.” – Susan Ertz
7. “Fortitude is a strength of mind that enables one to endure adversity with courage.” – Anonymous
8. “Fortitude has its extremes as well as the rest of the virtues, and ought, like them, to be always attended by prudence.” – Gisbertus Voetius
9. “True fortitude is seen in great exploits that justice warrants, and that wisdom guides; and all else is tow’ring phrenzy and distraction.” – Joseph Addison
10. “Fortitude creates winners and champions that aren’t always perfect but perfectly persistent.” – Allene van Oirschot
Inspiring Fortitude Quotes to Uplift You
11. “Fortitude gives us the courage and strength to be brave in moments of fear.” – Virginia Lieto
12. “During times of persistent hardship is when the warrior learns the most about his fortitude.” – Bohdi Sanders
13. “It is by surmounting difficulties, not by sinking under them, that we discover our fortitude.” – Hannah Webster Foster
14. “Gird your hearts with silent fortitude, suffering yet hoping all things.” – Felicia Hemans
15. “I treasure the memory of the past misfortunes. It has added more to my bank of fortitude.” – Bruce Lee
16. “There is but one philosophy, and its name is fortitude! To bear is to conquer our fate.” – Edward Bulwer-Lytton
17. “All of us have sufficient fortitude to bear the misfortunes of others.” – François de La Rochefoucauld
18. “I know it is difficult to believe in your own courage or fortitude when everything inside of you feels weak and shattered. But do not believe what you feel. You will not be easily broken.” – Rachel L. Schade
Fortitude Quotes That’ll Push You Forward
19. “I believe that fortitude is key. More than anything, be consistent. Go at it. Go at it. Go at it. When you succeed, don’t forget the responsibility of making somebody else succeed with you.” – Antonia C. Novello
20. “It takes incredible fortitude to keep on the road, even though it’s fun and it’s rewarding, and you can’t complain—it’s just a great life—but, you know, it takes a lot of energy.” – Kate Pierson
21. “One can summon courage and fortitude to face tragedy; irritations and frustrations are a cloud of mosquitoes that nip and sting and drive one frantic.” – Edna Ferber
22. “A true man is one who overcomes the ups and downs of life with fortitude. One should not recoil before reverses of fortunes. One should bravely face them and overcome them.” – Sathya Sai Baba
Profound Fortitude Quotes to Reflect On
23. “Fortitude implies a firmness and strength of mind that enables us to do and suffer as we ought. It rises upon an opposition, and, like a river, swells the higher for having its course stopped.” – Jeremy Collier
24. “Fortitude: that quality of mind which does not care what happens so long as it does not happen to us.” – Elbert Hubbard
25. “The longer I live, the more I think of the quality of fortitude men who fall, pick themselves up and stumble on, fall again, and are trying to get back up when they die.” – Theodore Roosevelt
26. “Suffering for truth’s sake Is fortitude to highest victory, and to the faithful death the gate of life.” – John Milton
27. “The fortitude which has encountered no dangers, that prudence which has surmounted no difficulties, that integrity which has been attacked by no temptation, can at best be considered but as gold not yet brought to the test, of which therefore the true value cannot be assigned.” – Samuel Johnson
Fortitude Quotes to Shift Your Outlook on Life
28. “It’s not the life that counts but the fortitude you bring into it.” – John Galsworthy
29. “I try to view the challenges in my life not as annoyances, but as confirmations of fortitude.” – Oprah Winfrey
30. “There is no treasure equal to contentment and no virtue equal to fortitude.” – Sarada Devi
31. “There is a natural firmness in some minds, which cannot be unlocked by trifles, but which, when unlocked, discovers a cabinet of fortitude.” – Thomas Paine
32. “A lot of things I’ve done in my life have taken incredible mental fortitude.” – Gretchen Carlson
33. “You can’t learn mental fortitude in a book. Those things are earned, not learned.” – Caleb Plant
Fortitude Quotes to Strengthen Your Mindset
34. “The power never to compromise—to have the fortitude—the guts! The stamina for the long haul.” – Harvey Dorfman
35. “If you have the fortitude to survive, you have more than ample ability to thrive.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
36. “I, for one, love strength, daring, fortitude. I do not want people to kill the fight in them; I want them to fight for the right things.” – Helen Keller
Fortitude Quotes That’ll Comfort You in Times of Distress
37. “A man’s word and his intestinal fortitude are two of the most honorable virtues known to mankind.” – Jim Nantz
38. “It is true fortitude to stand firm against all shocks of fate, when cowards faint and die in fear to suffer more calamity.” – Philip Massinger
39. “I didn’t need to get knocked down to know the fortitude that I have in me.” – Andre Ward
40. “I know of no higher fortitude than stubbornness in the face of overwhelming odds.” – Louis Nizer
41. “There is no fortitude like patience, just as there is no destructive emotion worse than hatred.” – Oscar Auliq-Ice
42. “Attitude with gratitude supported by fortitude will take you to the next altitude!” – Bayode Ojo
Short Fortitude Quotes That Will Change Your Life
43. “Fortitude is a fortune.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
44. “Fortitude is the principle of not fleeing danger, but meeting it.” – Plato
45. “Patience and fortitude conquer all things.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
46. “To be conscious of shame is near to fortitude.” – Confucius
47. “Fortitude is a great help in distress.” – Plautus
48. “The virtue of prosperity is temperance; the virtue of adversity is fortitude.” – Francis Bacon
Fortitude Quotes for Work
49. “Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.” – Jean Rostand
50. “To buy when others are despondently selling and sell when others are greedily buying requires the greatest fortitude and pays the greatest reward.” – John Templeton
51. “Leadership requires a non-stop demand of fortitude from day one to the end.” – Bill Hybels
52. “Being an entrepreneur is simply going from one mistake to the next. You must have the fortitude to continue on.” – Robert Kiyosaki
Fortitude Quotes That’ll Change the Way You See Society
53. “I have often had occasion to remark the fortitude with which women sustain the most overwhelming reverses of fortunes.” – Washington Irving
54. “Women can endure pain with fortitude, and they can perform monotonous tasks with patience.” – Melvil Dewey
55. “Whether you come from a council estate or a country estate, your success will be determined by your own confidence and fortitude.” – Michelle Obama
56. “It was the transcendent fortitude and steadfastness of these men who in adversity and in suffering through the darkest hour of our history held faithful to an ideal. Here men endured that a nation might live.” – Herbert Hoover
More Fortitude Quotes for All Christians
57. “The fortitude of a Christian consists in patience, not in enterprises which the poets call heroic, and which are commonly the effects of interest, pride, and worldly honor.” – John Dryden
58. “A Christian builds his fortitude on a better foundation than stoicism; he is pleased with everything that happens because he knows it could not happen unless it first pleased God, and that which pleases Him must be best.” – Charles Caleb Colton
59. “One of the duties of fortitude is to keep the weak from receiving injury; another, to check the wrong motions of our own souls; a third, both to disregard humiliations and to do what is right with an even mind. All these clearly ought to be fulfilled by all Christians, and especially by the clergy.” – Saint Ambrose
60. “To be strong, to steer straight onward, to dare to praise God, to sit alone and keep silence because He has laid it upon us, to put our mouths in the dust, if so be there may be hope—here is fortitude indeed.” – Frederick Brotherton Meyer
Do You Think Fortitude Is Necessary When You’re Striving for Success?
Many say they want to be successful, but not everyone can say they are willing to work hard. Perhaps the reason for this is a difference in fortitude. Some people can push themselves to achieve their goals, while others are not.
Fortitude is a virtue that allows us to be strong in the face of opposition. Without it, we would never have been able to overcome any challenges or hardships in our lives. So, learning how to improve our fortitude is a skill that can help us achieve anything we set our minds to.
But, building our fortitude is a lifelong process. Cultivating this vital character trait takes time, commitment, and practice. You just have to be patient; take the time to develop your fortitude to meet the challenges in your life!
With that, we hope this list of fortitude quotes was able to help you learn vital lessons you can apply in life. If you’re looking for something to help you keep going, consider rereading this collection to encourage you!