Awaken the lion inside you by reading these Gryffindor quotes that speak volumes about bravery and fierceness!
Gryffindor is one of the four Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Houses.
The members of this remarkable House are known for possessing great courage, loyalty, and perseverance in reaching their goals.
With Gryffindor’s heroic personality, it’s no surprise that the main characters of the Harry Potter series came from this House.
Their fearlessness and caring nature make them perfect protagonists that will teach you a lot in life.
So, read our complete collection below and be inspired to face life head-on.
Best Gryffindor Quotes
1. “We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” – Sirius Black
2. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” – Albus Dumbledore
3. “Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself.” – Albus Dumbledore
4. “You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve, and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.” – The Sorting Hat
5. “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.” – Albus Dumbledore
6. “But, you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Albus Dumbledore
7. “Only a true Gryffindor could have pulled that out of the hat, Harry.” – Albus Dumbledore
8. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it. You have shown bravery beyond anything I could have expected of you. I ask you to demonstrate your courage one more time. I ask you to tell us what happened.” – Albus Dumbledore
9. “By Gryffindor, the bravest were prized far beyond the rest.” – The Sorting Hat
Gryffindor Quotes That’ll Teach You About Living a Brave and Wise Life
10. “It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” – Albus Dumbledore
11. “Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it.” – Albus Dumbledore
12. “Books and cleverness! There are more important things—friendship and bravery and, oh Harry, be careful!” – Hermione Granger
13. “Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory.” – Albus Dumbledore
14. “We’re all human, aren’t we? Every human life is worth the same and worth saving.” – Kingsley Shacklebolt
15. “The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing and should therefore be treated with great caution.” – Albus Dumbledore
16. “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love.” – Albus Dumbledore
17. “Dumbledore says people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” – Hermione Granger
18. “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.” – Albus Dumbledore
19. “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” – Albus Dumbledore
20. “It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.” – Albus Dumbledore
21. “It is the quality of one’s convictions that determines success, not the number of followers.” – Remus Lupin
22. “Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain.” – Molly Weasely
Memorable Gryffindor Quotes to Learn About Their Personality and Values
23. “Our emblem is the lion, the bravest of all creatures. Our House colours are scarlet and gold, and our common room lies up in Gryffindor Tower.” – Percy Weasley
24. “A lot of people say that Slytherins and Gryffindors represent two sides of the same coin.” – Gemma Farley
25. “You’ve been so brave.” – Lily Potter
26. “That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Five more points from Gryffindor for being an insufferable know-it-all.” – Severus Snape
27. “Well, I still say you were lucky, but not many first years could have taken on a full-grown mountain troll. You each win Gryffindor five points.” – Minerva McGonagall
28. “At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent.” – Hermione Granger
29. “Another 10 points from Gryffindor. I would expect nothing more sophisticated from you, Ronald Weasley, the boy so solid he cannot Apparate half an inch across a room.” – Severus Snape
30. “This is the best team Gryffindor’s had in years. We’re going to win. I know it.” – Oliver Wood
Gryffindor Quotes That Reveal a Lot About the House Members
31. Harry Potter: “It only put me in Gryffindor because I asked not to go in Slytherin.”
Albus Dumbledore: “Exactly, which makes you very different from Tom Riddle. It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
32. “Don’t suggest to me what I can and can’t do, Potter. I’ve never been more ashamed of Gryffindor students.” – Minerva McGonagall
33. “To Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House 60 points.” – Albus Dumbledore
Gryffindor Quotes for Those Who Belong to the House of the Lion
34. “You’re a little scary sometimes, you know that? Brilliant, but scary.” – Ron Weasley
35. “Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn’t mean we all have.” – Hermione Granger
36. “And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” – Albus Dumbledore
37. “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” – George Weasley
38. “Ah, music, a magic beyond all we do here!” – Albus Dumbledore
39. “When in doubt, go to the library.” – Hermoine Granger
Also read: Voldemort Quotes
Gryffindor Quotes That You Will Love
40. “Green is a soothing colour. I mean, Gryffindor rooms are all well and good, but the trouble with red is, it is said to send you a little mad, not that I’m casting aspersions.” – Albus Severus
41. “Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know, it’s all here in your head, and Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, no doubt about that, no? Well, if you’re sure, better by Gryffindor!” – The Sorting Hat
42. “And here are the Gryffindors! Potter, Bell, Johnson, Spinnet, Weasley, Weasley, and Wood. Widely aknowledged as the best side Hogwarts has seen in a good few years.” – Peter Jordan
43. “I thought that to belong in Gryffindor House, you were supposed to be brave? It looks to me as though you would have been better off in my own House. We Slytherins are brave, yes, but not stupid. For instance, given the choice, we will always choose to save our own necks.” – Phineas Nigellus
44. “If you’re not in Gryffindor, we’ll disinherit you, but no pressure.” – Ron Weasley
45. “There’s no need to tell me I’m not brave enough to be in Gryffindor. Malfoy’s already done that.” – Neville Longbottom
46. “You’re worth 12 of Malfoy. The Sorting Hat chose you for Gryffindor, didn’t it?” – Harry Potter
Gryffindor Quotes That Will Enlighten You About the Author’s House
47. “The Gryffindor common room looked as welcoming as ever, a cosy circular tower room full of dilapidated squashy armchairs and rickety old tables. A fire was crackling merrily in the grate, and a few people were warming their hands by it before going up to their dormitories.” – J.K. Rowling, Author
48. “There are some things you can’t share without ending up liking each other and knocking out a 12-foot mountain troll is one of them.” – J.K. Rowling, Author
49. “The Gryffindors comprise a lot of foolhardy and show-offy people. That’s just the way it is. I’m a Gryffindor. I’m allowed to say. There’s bravery, and there’s also showboating, and sometimes, the two go together.” – J.K. Rowling, Author
50. “Gryffindor House is home to Nearly Headless Nick, who in life was Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington. Something of a snob and a less accomplished wizard than he believed. Sir Nicholas lounged around the court of Henry VII in life until his foolish attempt to beautify a lady-in-waiting by magic caused the unfortunate woman to sprout tusks. Sir Nicholas was stripped of his wand and inexpertly executed, leaving his head hanging off by a single flap of skin and sinew. He retains a feeling of inadequacy with regard to truly headless ghosts.” – J.K. Rowling, Author
Which Gryffindor Quote Inspired You to Be Loyal and Brave?
All of us know the feeling of fear and helplessness. However, not everyone can choose to fight and have the courage to face things in life. Sometimes, all we need is a little push and guidance to help us.
In the series, the House of Gryffindor inspires people to be brave despite the paralyzing feeling of fear. Every Potterhead knows how Harry felt small and powerless, but he chose to stand and fight for his friends and himself no matter what. Indeed, the House of Gryffindor fuels us to keep going in life no matter how tough things get.
So, we hope that these quotes were able to give you the strength to fight and reach your dreams. Feel free to reread the collection to get motivated, especially at the lowest points of your life.
Do you belong to the House of Gryffindor? What similar traits do you and other members of the House have? Share your answers with us in the comments section below.