Be inspired and learn about true sacrifice through this collection of Severus Snape quotes.
Severus Snape is just one of those characters you can’t get enough of—whether you like him or not.
His deep and complex personality is something that millions of Potterheads love and adore.
More than that, he is a talented wizard, a Potions Master, and a Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry professor.
We may only see his cold and sarcastic personality on the surface. But, as we learn more about him, we’re able to truly get a glimpse of his real nature.
He may have flaws, but Severus is a kindhearted man ready to sacrifice everything for love.
So, what are you waiting for? Don’t miss out on Snape’s wise and entertaining lines by reading this collection of his best quotes!
And make sure to check out these Sirius Black quotes and Lord Voldemort quotes.
Best Severus Snape Quotes
1. “Well, it may have escaped your notice, but life isn’t fair.”
2. “Have you ever considered that you ask too much, that you take too much for granted?”
3. “Fame clearly isn’t everything.”
4. “You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them! I, the Half-Blood Prince!”
5. “The mind is not a book to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader.”
6. “I have spied for you and lied for you, put myself in mortal danger for you. Everything was supposed to be to keep Lily Potter’s son safe. Now you tell me you have been raising him like a pig for slaughter.”
7. “You don’t want me as your enemy, Quirrell.”
8. “The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever-changing, and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible.”
9. “I have deceived one of the greatest wizards of all time.”
10. “Control your emotions. Discipline your mind!”
Heartbreaking Severus Snape Quotes to Understand His Real Feelings
11. “Has it ever crossed your brilliant mind that I don’t want to do this anymore?”
12. Albus Dumbledore: “Lily? After all this time?”
Severus Snape: “Always.”
13. “Look at me. You have your mother’s eyes.”
14. “Very well. Very well. But never, never tell, Dumbledore! This must be between us! Swear it! I cannot bear—especially Potter’s son. I want your word!”
15. “It’s real for us.”
Also read: Draco Malfoy Quotes, Remus Lupin Quotes
Severus Snape Quotes to Revisit the Tragic Deaths and Moments in Harry Potter
16. “So when the time comes, the boy must die?”
17. Albus Dumbledore: “Severus, please.”
Severus Snape: “Avada Kedavra!”
18. “You’ve kept him alive so that he can die at the proper moment.”
19. “I wish, I wish I were dead.”
Also read: Hermione Granger Quotes, Ron Weasley Quotes
Short Severus Snape Quotes That’ll Always Be Iconic
20. “How grand it must be to be the Chosen One.”
21. “I may vomit.”
22. “And a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter.”
23. “Ah, yes. Harry Potter, our new celebrity.”
24. “You see what you expect to see.”
25. “Well, well, Lupin. Out for a little walk in the moonlight, are we?”
26. “You are just like your father, lazy, arrogant.”
27. “Don’t lie to me.”
28. “You ought to be careful. People will think you’re up to something.”
29. “Listen to you two, quarrelling like an old married couple.”
30. “You’ve just earned yourself detention for a month, McLaggen.”
31. “I do not take cheek from anyone, Potter, not even the Chosen One.”
Also read: Albus Dumbledore Quotes, Hagrid Quotes
Funny Severus Snape Quotes
32. “Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?”
33. “Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. Ghosts are transparent.”
34. “Another 10 points from Gryffindor. I would expect nothing more sophisticated from you, Ronald Weasley, the boy so solid he cannot Apparate half an inch across a room.”
35. “How extraordinarily like your father you are, Potter. He, too, was exceedingly arrogant.”
36. “Weasley’s wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We’ll be sending Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox.”
37. “What would your head have been doing in Hogsmeade, Potter? Your head is not allowed in Hogsmeade. No part of your body has permission to be in Hogsmeade.”
Sassy Severus Snape Quotes for a Day Full of Laughter
38. “The mind is a complex and many-layered thing, Potter, or at least, most minds are.”
39. “How touchingly paternal, Black. Perhaps Potter will grow up to be a felon, just like his godfather!”
40. “You were seen by no less than seven Muggles! Do you have any idea how serious this is? You have risked the exposure of our world! Not to mention the damage you inflicted on a Whomping Willow that’s been on these grounds since before you were born!”
41. “Vengeance is very sweet. How I hoped I would be the one to catch you.”
42. “And if I ever hear you criticise the way I teach a class again, you will be sorry indeed.”
43. “Longbottom, at the end of this lesson, we will feed a few drops of this potion to your toad and see what happens. Perhaps, that will encourage you to do it properly.”
44. “Are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?”
45. “I’m afraid you have used up all my stores interrogating students, the last of it on Miss Chang. Unless you wish to poison Potter, and I assure you, I would have the greatest sympathy if you did, I cannot help you.”
More Severus Snape Quotes That’ll Prove Why Every Potterhead Loves Him
46. “That is just as well, Potter, because you are neither special nor important, and it is not up to you to find out what the Dark Lord is saying to his Death Eaters.”
47. “There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don’t expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death.”
48. “Then you will find yourself easy prey for the Dark Lord! Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily, weak people, in other words, they stand no chance against his powers! He will penetrate your mind with absurd ease, Potter!”
49. “I can’t change the Dark Lord’s mind. But it might be possible for me to help Draco.”
50. “There is no wand more powerful, Ollivander himself has said. Tonight, when the boy comes, it will not fail you, I am sure of it. It answers to you, and you only.”
How Much Are You Willing to Sacrifice for the People You Care About?
Severus Snape did everything he could to protect Harry Potter—the son of his best friend and true love, Lily Evans—even if it meant dying in the end. No matter how much he went through, his loyalties and commitment motivated him to stay as someone good and kind.
Not all of us can go to extreme lengths just to care for someone like Severus did. He took our expectations of love to the next level with his actions and words. Even with all the suffering he endured, he stood firm with his goals and left a legacy of selflessness for everyone in the world.
Ever since his true character and motivations were revealed, the world saw Snape as someone we can truly rely on and adore. So, we hope that his quotes were able to help you know what true sacrifice and love are like. Like Snape, always remember the power of kindness and compassion in life.
Which Severus Snape quote is your favorite? Do you also believe there’s something more to him than meets the eye? Let us know in the comments below.