These top 60 Thelma & Louise quotes will teach you valuable lessons about female empowerment, taking risks, and more!
Thelma & Louise is a crime drama movie directed by Ridley Scott. Despite some controversy over portraying a negative view of men, the movie was a commercial success and garnered many nominations and awards.
In the movie, Thelma and Louise, tired of their lives in Arkansas, decide to go on a vacation together. But, along the road, they get into some pretty sticky situations.
As these two girls flee for the crimes they committed, their vacation quickly turns into a terrifying and thrilling escape from authority.
So, if you’re curious about what happened to these two best friends, keep reading our list below.
You’ll find some of the funniest and most intriguing quotes from one of the greatest movies of all time!
And make sure to check out these Taxi Driver quotes and Pulp Fiction quotes.
Best Thelma & Louise Quotes
1. “Look, Thelma, you just gotta stop talking to people. You gotta stop being so open. We’re fugitives now, all right? Let’s start behaving like that.” – Louise
2. “Hey Louise, better slow down, I’ll just die if we get caught over a speeding ticket. Are you sure we should be driving like this, I mean in broad daylight and everything?” – Thelma
3. “In the future, when a woman is crying like that, she isn’t having any fun.” – Louise
4. “You get what you settle for.” – Louise
5. “I feel really awake. I don’t recall ever feeling this awake. You know? Everything looks different now. Do you feel like that? You feel like you got something to live for now?” – Thelma
6. “You’ve always been crazy, this is just the first chance you’ve had to express yourself.” – Louise
Famous Thelma & Louise Quotes
7. “Now, I swear three days ago neither one of us would’ve ever pulled a stunt like this, but if you were ever to meet my husband, you’d understand why.” – Thelma
8. “Look, you shoot off a guy’s head with his pants down, believe me, Texas is not the place you wanna get caught.” – Louise
9. “Something’s, like, crossed over in me and I can’t go back. I mean I just couldn’t live.” – Thelma
10. “Now if nobody loses their head, nobody will lose their head.” – Thelma
11. “Well, now, I’ve always believed that done properly, armed robbery doesn’t have to be a totally unpleasant experience.” – J.D.
12. “You know, certain words and phrases just keep drifting through my mind. Things like incarceration, cavity search, death by electrocution, life imprisonment, sh*t like that. You know what I’m sayin’? So do I want to come out alive? I don’t know. I—I don’t know. I think we’re gonna have to think about that.” – Louise
13. Thelma: “You’re a real live outlaw aren’t you?”
J.D.: “Well, I may be the outlaw, darling, but you’re the one stealin’ my heart.”
Thelma & Louise Quotes
14. Thelma: “Oh, Louise, umm, will you take care of this gun?”
Louise: “What in the hell did you bring that for?”
Thelma: “Oh, come on! Psycho killers, or bears or snakes? I just don’t know how to use it. Will you take care of it?”
15. Louise: “I think—I think it’s the vast Grand Canyon!”
Thelma: “Isn’t it beautiful?”
Louise: “Yeah, it’s something.”
16. Thelma: “Well, look, everything that we got to lose is gone anyway.”
Louise: “Oh, God, how do you stay so positive?”
17. Thelma: “Okay, then listen: let’s not get caught.”
Louise: “What’re you talking about?”
Thelma: “Let’s keep going!”
Louise: “What d’you mean?”
18. Louise: “Thelma, you know how I feel about Texas. We’re not going that way.”
Thelma: “Yeah, I know, Louise, but we’re running for our lives. I mean, can’t you make an exception. I mean, look at the map! The only thing between Oklahoma and Mexico is Texas! Look.”
19. Louise: “You robbed the store? You robbed the g*dd*mn store?”
Thelma: “Well, we needed the money.”
20. Thelma: “You awake?”
Louise: “Guess you could call it that, my eyes are open.”
21. Louise: “Tell him I’m having a nervous breakdown.”
Thelma: “That doesn’t carry much weight with Darryl. He already thinks you’re out of your mind.”
22. Louise: “Think you found your calling?”
Thelma: “Maybe. Maybe. The call of the wild!”
Louise: “You are disturbed!”
Thelma: “Yeah, I believe I am.”
Also read: The Silence of the Lambs Quotes, Hannibal Lecter Quotes
Thelma & Louise Friendship Quotes
23. “You said you and I were gonna get outta town and, for once, just really let our hair down. Well, darlin’, look out, ’cause my hair is comin’ down!” – Thelma
24. “Louise, no matter what happens, I’m glad I came with you.” – Thelma
25. “You’re not gonna give up on me, are ya?” – Thelma
Thelma & Louise Quotes That Illustrate Their Crimes
26. “What’re we gonna say about the robbery? There’s no excuse for that. There’s no such thing as justifiable robbery.” – Louise
27. “Ladies and gentlemen, I want to thank you all for your cooperation. Now, stay down on the floor ’til I’m gone, and have a good day.” – Thelma
28. “No we shouldn’t, but I want to put some distance between us and the scene of our last god damned crime!” – Louise
29. “Oh, Jesus Christ. Louise, you shot him. Oh, my God.” – Thelma
Also read: American Psycho Quotes
Thelma & Louise Quotes to Provoke You
30. “Where do you get off behaving that way with women you don’t even know, huh? How’d you feel if someone did that to your mother or your sister or your wife?” – Louise
31. “I think I f*cked up. I think I got us in a situation where we both could get killed. Damn, I don’t know why I just didn’t go to the police right away.” – Louise
32. “You let her go, you f*ckin’ *sshole, or I’m gonna splatter your ugly face all over this nice car!” – Louise
33. “You mean you haven’t asked him, yet? Thelma, for Christ’s sake! Is he your husband or your father? It is just two days, for God’s sake. Don’t be a child. Tell him you’re going with me.” – Louise
34. “That guy was hurting me. If you hadn’t come out when you did, he would’ve hurt me a lot worse. And probably nothing would’ve happened to him ’cause everybody did see me dancin’ with him all night. They would’ve made out like I’d asked for it. My life would’ve been ruined a whole lot worse than it is now. At least now I’m havin’ some fun. And I’m not sorry that son of a b*tch is dead. I’m just sorry it was you that did it and not me.” – Thelma
35. “So, tell me something, Miss Thelma. How is it you ain’t got any kids? I mean, God gives you something special, I think you oughta pass it on.” – J.D.
36. “Oh, man! You wouldn’t have believed it. It was like I’d been doin’ it all my life. I mean, nobody would believe it.” – Thelma
37. Max: “You know, the one thing I can’t figure out is whether these girls are real smart or just real, real lucky?”
Hal: “Don’t matter. Brains will only get you so far and luck always runs out.”
38. State Trooper: “Please. I have a wife and kids. Please.”
Thelma: “You do? Well, you’re lucky. You’ll be sweet to ’em, especially your wife. My husband wasn’t sweet to me. Look how I turned out.”
Also read: Paid in Full Quotes
Funny Thelma & Louise Quotes to Make Your Day
39. “If she calls, just be gentle, you know? Like you’re really happy to hear from her. Like you miss her. Women love that sh*t.” – Max
40. “I know it’s crazy, but I just feel like I got a knack for this sh*t.” – Thelma
41. “Try not to get too excited, Louise. I just flew across two states with that ring in my f*ckin’ hand, and uh—you know I hate to fly.” – Jimmy
42. “You could park a car in the shadow of his ass.” – Thelma
Also read: Funny Quotes
Thelma & Louise for Fans of the Movie
43. “I guess everything from here on in is going to be pretty sh*tty.” – Thelma
44. Jimmy: “Did I hear somebody say ‘Peaches?’”
Louise: “Oh my God. Jimmy.”
Jimmy: “That’s the secret word. Show the lady what she’s won, Don.”
45. “Oh! Oh, g*dd*mn it! I don’t believe it. I’ve never been lucky! Not one time! Sh*t! That son of a b*tch burned me. I don’t believe it. I don’t believe it. Louise? You okay? Louise. I’m sorry, I mean it.” – Thelma
46. “Well, what’s the big rush, Thelma? I mean, if we give ’em enough time, they’ll come to us.” – Louise
47. “Don’t be fooled, he’s no different than any other guy. He knows how to chase and that’s it. Once he’s caught you, he doesn’t know what to do. So he runs away.” – Louise
48. “I had a suggestion that we go to the police, but you didn’t like that, so frankly, Louise, I’m out of ideas.” – Thelma
49. “Oh, darlin’, I’m so happy for you. That’s great. I really am. You finally got laid properly. That’s so sweet.” – Louise
50. “I guess I always thought the worst thing that could happen would be to end up old and alone in some crummy apartment with one of those little dogs.” – Thelma
51. Louise: “Tell him you’re having a wonderful time and you’ll be home tomorrow night.”
Thelma: “Will I be?”
Louise: “I don’t know. I won’t.”
52. “I always wanted to travel. I just never got the opportunity.” – Thelma
53. “Well, we’re not in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it from here.” – Louise
More Thelma & Louise Quotes That You Will Enjoy
54. “Yeah. He says he’s not ready yet. He says he’s still too much of a kid himself. He kinda prides himself on being infantile.” – Thelma
55. “God. The law is some tricky sh*t, isn’t it? Hey, how do you know about all this stuff, anyway?” – Thelma
56. “No, Thelma, it’s not okay! It’s definitely not okay. None of this is okay! I mean, what are we gonna do for money, huh? How are we gonna get gas? I mean, trade on our good looks?” – Louise
57. “There’s no physical evidence. We can’t prove he did it. We can’t even probably prove by now that he touched you.” – Louise
58. “Ya gotta wait for just the right moment, which is something you know instinctively, that can’t be taught.” – J.D.
59. “Yeah, but they don’t know that. It was just you and me there. I’ll say he raped me and you had to shoot him. That’s almost the truth.” – Thelma
60. “Yeah. Now what kind of deal is that cop gonna have to come up with to beat that?” – Louise
Do You Think Thelma & Louise Helped Pave the Way for Women’s Empowerment?
Thelma & Louise is a celebration of friendship and solidarity. They show a woman’s ability to fight and stand up for herself and for what is right. And, as true friends, no matter how tricky things got, they stuck by each other.
Yes, the whole fiasco of committing crimes may not be a good influence. But, remember that they only resorted to this because they were harassed and their reputations were damaged. If we look beyond that, though, Thelma & Louise is a great movie we can all learn from.
Through the characters, our eyes are also opened to the value of taking risks. Push yourself to take a leap of faith and be prepared to face the consequences. After all, life is unpredictable, and we must be ready for whatever may come.
What other lessons do you think are embedded in the movie? Share your thoughts with us!